CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
luvvinbird

Re: CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Just to clarify, has anyone been having trouble updating the CPE.BIN file on the 66sr via Garmin Express on a PC? I ask because I'm considering purchasing one but I'm overwhelmed by the negative info regarding this one file on this specific GPS receiver. I own a 65s which also has a CPE.BIN file and always updates to current status every time I sync with Garmin Express on my PC. The same is true for the EPO.BIN files on my 66s and 66st. The files update immediately upon syncing with GE. Personally, I doubt I would sync the device any other way than on my PC. So if it will always work that way, then I'll be happy. Otherwise, is it a recommended purchase?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The 66sr is my favorite, when I don't want to lug around the Montana 750!

For non touch devices, it can not be beat!
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Normally the 66sr syncs CPE.bin and EPO.bin files with Garmin Connect on smartphone, but sometimes it doesn't work the first time, you have to insist, finally for me.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

As a reminder, the point of this thread was that Garmin clearly says the GPSMAP 66sr will update the CPE file using just WiFi from the GPSMAP itself talking directly to the Garmin servers. No need for an app on your phone (Garmin Connect or Garmin Explore) with Bluetooth connection to the GPSMAP, and no need for a PC-based app (Garmin Express) with a USB connection to the GPSMAP. And as far as we can tell this does not work.
mimichris

I am still connected in WiFi, my CPE is expired and no automatic update. How long does it take to update via WiFi ?
mimichris

WiFi not updating CPE, I waited, disconnect, reconnect WiFi, no CPE update Timed out.
I connected the 66sr to "Garmin Connect", first connection, no update, second connection, update done.
ljnjtrails

Similar here. Yesterday: CPE:Current. This morning: CPE:Expired. WiFi on = nothing. Started Garmin Explore on my phone, let it connect to the GPSMAP with Bluetooth, phone is connected to WiFi, first device sync and now CPE:Current.

By the way, this works even if you disable syncing to your Garmin account. The GPSMAP syncs to your phone, but not your phone to the Garmin servers. If you would rather not have your GPS data on the 'net, or just have no need for it.
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:06 pmcopying the CPE.BIN file from another 66sr to your device will work.
If that's the case, why don't they just give us a direct download link to the actual CPE.BIN?
ljnjtrails

ewald.gruen wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:44 pm
GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:06 pmcopying the CPE.BIN file from another 66sr to your device will work.
If that's the case, why don't they just give us a direct download link to the actual CPE.BIN?
Possibly because the file is only good for a variable but short period of time, apparently could be as short as several days or as long as a week or 2. It would be hard to keep it up to date with manual downloads. Also, that just does not seem to be the way Garmin does things.

I've found that if I sync with Garmin Explore once per week, the CPE file is always up to date - never expires. But I'm going to try again and see if WiFi direct updates work. There was some indication from Garmin that once you set it up with Explore, it should update directly via WiFi from then on. I don't believe it, but we will see.
mimichris

Mine takes a very long time to update the CPE.BIN, either with Garmin Connect or with Garmin Explorer, I have to do the manipulation several times for the file to update.
This morning impossible to synchronize it to change the CPE file.
It's impossible with Garmin, the old GPS turning out much better, never a problem, there was no CPE file ever bothered ....

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”