CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
ljnjtrails

CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

Garmin's support site, as well as text in the Quick Start Manual, seem to be saying that satellite orbit prediction data (CPE) can be downloaded when connected to WiFi - without needing Garmin Connect/Garmin Express.

I have a GPSMap 66sr with working WiFi connection (but I don't have Garmin Express or Garmin Connect). I've left the GPSr on with WiFi connected, and have seen no evidence CPE will update. My "Setup > About" always says either CPE:Missing or CPE:Expired.

Has anyone been able to get CPE via WiFi on this model? How?
(My firmware version is 4.90)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Tested a GPSMAP 66s and 66sr this evening, and the 66s was able to update the EPO file via Wi-Fi after about 20 minutes, however, after more than an hour, my 66sr has yet to update the CPE file...

Have requested clarification from Garmin.
ljnjtrails

Thanks for testing that! I've had my 66sr on for many hours with no CPE update. Also odd is that it switches from CPE:Missing to CPE:Expired at some point, even though I have never seen an actual CPE.BIN file on the unit.

There may be a similar issue with direct-over-WiFi firmware upgrades, but that's for another thread. And by the way, I know my WiFi setup works because I can download BirdsEye Direct imagery to the GPSMAP 66sr.
ljnjtrails

Followup: Garmin Support said the CPE file can become corrupted, and updating the GPSMAP 66sr with Garmin Express is necessary to fix it; after that it should update via WiFi.

But I've never had a CPE file on my GPSMAP 66sr, so how can it be corrupted? Also, I can't use Garmin Express because I have no PC that it will run on.

So Support said syncing with the Garmin Explore app on a smartphone will also update CPE. I installed Explore on my phone, connected to my Garmin account, paired it with the GPSMAP 66sr, synced... and I still have either "CPE: Missing" or "CPE: Expired".

Time to give up. My GPSMAP 66sr does acquire satellites quickly enough - maybe under 1 minute, and that's good enough for me.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Why will your windows pcs not run Garmin Express?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Retested 66sr this morning via Garmin Explore app and new CPE was loaded when we checked again 15 minutes later....

May be a Wi-Fi issue here...
ljnjtrails

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 am Why will your windows pcs not run Garmin Express?
No Windows PC. (Unless you count an old dusty but still working laptop with Windows XP.) All Linux.
gpsrchive wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:08 pm Retested 66sr this morning via Garmin Explore app and new CPE was loaded when we checked again 15 minutes later....

May be a Wi-Fi issue here...
That's good to hear - that it worked. But did it update via Bluetooth from Explore running on your phone, or via WiFi directly to the GPSMAP 66sr? Did your 66sr already have a CPE file, and got a new one within 15 minutes? As opposed to not having one at all. At just so I'm clear, the CPE data is stored in a file called Garmin\GPS\CPE.BIN ? Sorry, one more: What should Setup > About show besides "CPE: Missing" or "CPE: Expired" - is it "CPE: Current" or something else?
Thanks.

As for a WiFi issue, possible, but nothing unusual here about WiFi setup (other than slow on WAN side), it does work from the GPSMAP 66sr because I can get BirdsEye Direct.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ljnjtrails wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 pm But did it update via Bluetooth from Explore running on your phone, or via WiFi directly to the GPSMAP 66sr?
Explore is always a Bluetooth connection.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ljnjtrails wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 pm just so I'm clear, the CPE data is stored in a file called Garmin\GPS\CPE.BIN ?
Correct.

ljnjtrails wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 pm Sorry, one more: What should Setup > About show besides "CPE: Missing" or "CPE: Expired" - is it "CPE: Current" or something else?
Thanks.
Would love to see some screen captures showing the 'Missing' text. I have only ever seen 'Current' and 'Expired'.
ljnjtrails

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:39 am Would love to see some screen captures showing the 'Missing' text. I have only ever seen 'Current' and 'Expired'.
gpsmap-66sr-CPE_Missing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”