GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 4.90

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 4.90

Unread post by GPSrChive »

GPSMAP 66sr Firmware Update 4.90 released 17NOV21:

Changes made from version 3.80 to 4.90:

• Added support for creating courses. Courses can be navigated point to point like a track, or using map data like a route.
  • Added support for syncing courses with Garmin Explore. Requires updated Garmin Explore app.
  • Added ability to convert routes and tracks to courses.
  • Added ability to pair to Garmin Explore without first pairing to Garmin Connect Mobile. Requires updated Garmin Explore app.
  • Added option to search for POIs near a selected city.
  • Added on course and off course alerts to track navigation.
  • Added support for Connect IQ 3.1.
  • Improved status bar to show paired sensors instead of only enabled sensors.
  • Improved bluetooth device names in sensor setup.
  • Fixed possible issues with live geocache lists.
  • Fixed possible issues returning to the adventure review map from another page.
  • Fixed time data when copying tracks in reverse.
  • Fixed issue where route list would not update after route was deleted.
  • Fixed issue with keyboard language not persisting through power cycles.
  • Fixed an issue deleting adventures that contain routes.
  • Fixed possible issue with elapsed time when recording is paused.
  • Fixed possible shutdown selecting Current Activity from the Recorded Activities app.
  • Fixed issue where messages would appear during power-down.
  • Fixed pressure labels for hectopascals.
  • Fixed possible issue with missing track stats in GPX files.
  • Fixed issue selecting the first point on the active route page.
  • Fixed possible shutdown on keyboard page.
  • Fixed display issue on photo viewer page.
  • Fixed recording with expedition mode when auto-start is off.
  • Fixed issue where archived tracks could not be deleted.
  • Fixed issue with LiveTrack data not being sent correctly.

This update is being released in stages via Garmin Express, and should be available to everyone soon.

Please report your observations here!
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 4.90

Unread post by mimichris »

No GPS chipset fix for fixing Galileo satellites.
If some who have the 66sr doing the update can tell me if it improves Galileo's fix, If they have changed the software version of the GPS it should no longer be 2.00.05. Thanks.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The GPS Chipset version is still 2.00.05, and all Satellite issues seem to be resolved. I always suspected this was actually a UI issue, and this reinforces that suspicion.
mimichris

Hello,
Indeed, this morning I updated 4.90 and the Galileo satellites present were all fixed, even in my house, so good news.
mimichris

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:00 pm The GPS Chipset version is still 2.00.05, and all Satellite issues seem to be resolved. I always suspected this was actually a UI issue, and this reinforces that suspicion.
Hello,
What do you mean with user interface?
I remain convinced that when the satellites flash they are not taken into account for accuracy, it remains valid on the 66sr and the 65s.
This is valid on any GPS, when the satellites flash it means that they are not fixed and therefore not taken into account for accuracy.
mimichris

below two images of the RINEX satellites of the 66sr recording for 20 minutes.

L1+L5 :
L1 L5.jpg

L5 :
L1.jpg

{Edited by GPSrChive - Please Do Not Link to External Images!}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Second image is L5 data only?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mimichris wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 am
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:00 pm The GPS Chipset version is still 2.00.05, and all Satellite issues seem to be resolved. I always suspected this was actually a UI issue, and this reinforces that suspicion.
Hello,
I remain convinced that when the satellites flash they are not taken into account for accuracy, it remains valid on the 66sr and the 65s.
This is valid on any GPS, when the satellites flash it means that they are not fixed and therefore not taken into account for accuracy.
While that is what a 'flashing' satellite signal indicates, the Multi-Band devices that were exhibiting this behavior still provided better positional accuracy and precision under adverse conditions when compared to non Multi-Band units.

It has been my contention all along that the Multi-Band devices were correctly receiving and using these signals (as their superior performance indicated) and that the 'flashing' signal behavior was nothing more than a UI bug.

Now that Garmin have resolved this behavior with only a device firmware update, and no GPS radio update, suggest to me this was in fact the case.
mimichris

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:37 pm Second image is L5 data only?
Yes.
mimichris

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm
mimichris wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 am
Hello,
While that is what a 'flashing' satellite signal indicates, the Multi-Band devices that were exhibiting this behavior still provided better positional accuracy and precision under adverse conditions when compared to non Multi-Band units.

It has been my contention all along that the Multi-Band devices were correctly receiving and using these signals (as their superior performance indicated) and that the 'flashing' signal behavior was nothing more than a UI bug.

Now that Garmin have resolved this behavior with only a device firmware update, and no GPS radio update, suggest to me this was in fact the case.
I think so because the quality of the track was not better than on my other GPS devices that I have had and of which I have kept the tracks, in particular the non-multiband Gpsmap66s.
Now I have to try it hiking with the new version, for the moment it has been raining since yesterday ....
I don't see in the user interface what could have caused it to flash and only Galileo (in multi-band or not). If there was an interface problem, I think all GNSS systems would have blinked. In addition, the fix is done much faster than before the modification from 3.80 to 4.90. Perhaps they did not find it useful to change the version of the firmware. Garmin is Garmin.
There are changes in new firmware versions that are not mentioned in the list of changes from version to version, I have seen this on other models before.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”