Wi Fi will not toggle on

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
MaliBooBoo

Wi Fi will not toggle on

Unread post by MaliBooBoo »

Hi there, new to this forum. A new 66sr has arrived, a work one, that complements the one I personally own. I was going through the process of updating the firmware and when I had it hooked up to Express I skipped over the WiFi setup, thinking I could come back to it later. Well, maybe not a great idea because now WiFi won't toggle on, even though I have since gone back to express and added my network to the unit. Any thoughts on how to correct this? Thanks!
MaliBooBoo

Re: Wi Fi will not toggle on

PS - "Add Network" is not an option in the Wifi area of this unit.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What is the firmware version?

What exactly happens when you select Setup > Wi-Fi?

What do you see (screen captures might be helpful)?

I believe the device must first be registered to a Garmin user account in Express before Wi-Fi is enabled on the device. Perhaps a Master Reset is in order if nothing else seems to work.
MaliBooBoo

I cut to the chase and did a master reset. It solved the issue. Thank you for the help.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Sometimes that is what needs to happen, glad you got it sorted!
bobwz

Unread post by bobwz »

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to add my experience since I just encountered this same problem.

I was able to fix it without a full reset in the Garmin Explore app. I opened the device tab, tapped on the 66SR, and selected "Wi-Fi networks". The wifi network I added when I first got the device was gone, but I was able to re-add it.

After adding the network through the Garmin Explore app, I was able to toggle wifi on and off again as expected on the device.
on4cet

Unread post by on4cet »

I bought a new 66sr last week, and sometimes the wifi cannlt be enabled too. After a reboot of 5 a 10 it works again, so there is definitely something wrong.

I also cannot download birdseye (server cannot be contacted) imagery and the registration code for geocaching.com does not work either. I always get a 'failed' message. I'm on 3.80

Kr

Bart
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What router are you connecting to when the Wi-Fi will not connect?

What is the SSID? What security Protocol?

The BirdsEye and Geocachng issues are most likely due to a failed internet connection.

I am running 3.80 on my 66sr and love it!
on4cet

Unread post by on4cet »

Hi,

I started a new topic with my findings. It appears that it has nothing to do with the Internet connection. And I tried it with a mobile hotspot (different ISP) as well as with my normal fast internet connection. I also tried an encrypted wifi connection and without encryption.

It appears that the problem is with the TLS handshaking. Ciphering ...

Bart
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I responded there, and while all services are currently operational, there does appear to be an issue with the 66sr.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”