ETA at Destination

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Mick F

ETA at Destination

Unread post by Mick F »

Is it possible to make the ETA at Destination use the average speed rather than the actual speed?

I use my Montana mainly when cycling, and when using it to navigate, it would be useful to know what time I'll be home (for instance). With the system as it is, the ETA varies considerably as my speed changes from up hills to down hills .............. and we have lots of hills here in Cornwall.

The nearer I am to home, the more accurate the ETA is, but if I'm 30 or 40 miles away, the ETA is almost meaningless.

Thanks,
Mick.
sussamb

Re: ETA at Destination

Unread post by sussamb »

No. Really the way it's done is the best in the main for everyone. It doesn't matter how fast you've been going, if you now slow to a crawl it makes sense that your ETA is based on that speed, not what you were capable of early on. If you then speed up your time is adjusted accordingly.
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Thanks for getting back to me. :D

When I was using a Garmin 705, that used average speed to calculate ETA, so I don't see why a Montana can't do it.
Why not have the option?

Mick.
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

Well you could try suggesting that http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Done it. :D
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Describe Your Idea *
Garmin Montana.
When navigating or following a GPX track, you can have a data field in Trip Computer or in a dashboard on Map, that shows ETA at Destination.
This ETA is calculated at your present speed, and not your average moving speed.
I used to own a Garmin Edge 705, and that used average moving speed for ETA calculations, so I would like to see that option with the Montana as well.
I understand that the Montana is used for a wide variety of purposes, and that's why I love it so much. I myself use it regularly when cycling, and often when walking, and occasionally in the car. In all these activities, my speed varies throughout the journey, so using present speed for an ETA becomes meaningless.
A menu item to give the option of "ETA Present Speed" or "ETA Average Speed" would be a welcome option in Setup.
Thanks,
Mick.
Thank you for submitting your idea to Garmin!
Whether it was feedback about how to make a current feature better or an idea for a brand new product, we're excited you took the time to share with us.
Time will tell if they take any notice of course. ;)

Return to “Montana 6x0”