Montana Range of GPS units

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Colourise

Montana Range of GPS units

Unread post by Colourise »

Hi

I should be very interested in opinions about whether Garmin will continue to develop the Montana range and introduce a model which will include coverage of the Galileo satellite system, as they have done with the GPSMap 66.

I have had my Montama 600 for quite a few years now and it is looking a bit worse for wear.

Do forum members think that this is a likely development?

thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Montana Range of GPS units

Unread post by GPSrChive »

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!" - Mark Twain
Colourise

Unread post by Colourise »

Interesting!
truckinguy

Unread post by truckinguy »

I would think Garmin would keep up the Montana in one form or the other as it's been a very big seller. Not only Galieo but other features. Glass screen with better resolution like the Oregon? Not sure what better battery efficient screens are out there.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I would very much like to see a glass capacitive touchscreen to replace the resistive touchscreen myself. Newer versions are much improved, and can function just fine even with gloved hands.

Galileo seems an obvious update, probably some TopoActive mapping also.

More resolution is not necessary (IMHO).

I think if they reworked the case a little bit, they could fit a larger Li-Ion battery pack with more capacity.

A Monterra style solar sensor on the face would be great for auto-dimming the screen also.

There are some additional features I would like to see carried over from recent GPSMAP and Oregon units (inReach Remote, BirdsEye Direct, Connect IQ, Updated Geocaching UI, etc.).

Also, I would like to see some wireless (and wired) camera connectivity (minimum 4 cameras, similar to most Drive units).

We will have to wait and see what the Garmin Gods have in store for us.....

8^)
truckinguy

Unread post by truckinguy »

You want a lot. ha. I don't need all of that so I hope they have a less expensive one but with the better screen for gloves. Don't care about battery life. I have it running all day on hikes for 6 hrs or more with no issues with their Battery even. I have Panasonic Pros but don't need them.
Maybe a better camera similar to my Note 8 which is good enough.

Return to “Montana 6x0”