Garmin Multi-Band a Response to Ligado L-band 5g Network?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
luvvinbird

Garmin Multi-Band a Response to Ligado L-band 5g Network?

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Do you think Garmin's recent introduction of Multi-Band and Multi-GNSS receivers has anything to do with the FCCs decision to allow Ligado to build their L-band 5g network? I know the FCC decision is under review, but should it pass could all my non-Multi-Band and Multi-GNSS receivers become redundant? Just curious (and a little concerned).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Multi-Band a Response to Ligado L-band 5g Network?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

From this article:
The FCC said in a release that granting Ligado’s request “will promote more efficient and effective use of our nation’s spectrum resources and ensure that adjacent band operations, including the Global Positioning System (GPS), are protected from harmful interference.”
Do you have information that indicates otherwise?
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

No. Google searches on this issue show there are still concerns about Ligado's claim, as in the quote you posted. I thought Garmin's introduction of devices that offer systems other than GPS may have have had something to do with the FCC decision, being prepared perhaps. If approved, I hope it all works out. What do you think?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Well, when any government agency gets involved...

We will probably just have to wait and see what actually happens.

I did also find this, which appears to suggest symbiotic operation:
View Image
Ligado Proposed Frequency Use.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Also this:

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20160524/ca ... y-gps-tag2
LightSquared in December said it reached an agreement with Garmin on spectrum use parameters for terrestrial service in the 1.6 GHz L-Band that could eventually lead to freeing up more than 50 megahertz of spectrum for commercial cellular use. The agreement followed similar deals struck between LightSquared and Trimble Navigation and Deere & Co.
Smith noted its latest FCC filing included a “number of steps to ensure satellites using other midband spectrum can still successfully send signals to smartphones, GPS devices and specialized industrial equipment that rely on that data,” and the firm hired an engineering team to help solve interference issues.
“We also hired a world-class engineering firm, Roberson and Associates, to study how GPS can be protected,” Smith explained. “The great news is that, as a result of the power reductions, there is no evidence that GPS users or manufacturers will be harmed by Ligado’s proposed operations. Significantly, cellular devices and consumer devices representing the vast majority of the GPS market are not adversely impacted by our planned deployment.”

Return to “GPSMAP 65”