GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
luvvinbird

Re: GPSMAP 65s or 66sr

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Thank you for your replies. Just to clarify, does the accuracy figure change as well or is it a UI issue? Is it really losing reception or is it just a change in the display and nothing more? The reason I ask is because I read here that the flashing Galileo satellites display suggested non reception, whereas it may have only been the display indicating that.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

This is not a flashing issue.

This is all satellite signal bars dropping 80% of thier signal when the antenna is horizontal. I suspect this is likely a hardware issue.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

I only have the 65s, mainly because I wanted to have replaceable batteries and wanted the device to be small. I just couldn't justify the extra cost of 66sr for my purpose.

Of all the satellite bars in all constellations, about half of them drop down to 50-70% when the device is held horizontal compared to when the device is held vertical. However, two-three bars drop down by 50% when the device is held vertical. So more satellite bars drop down in signal when held horizontal compared to vertical.

In real life situation, I neither hold the device vertical nor horizontal (for me it is not possible to read the screen in either position easily). I always hold it about 45 degrees to the horizon, same as how I hold my mobile phone. At 45 degrees (compared to vertical), only a fifth of the satellite bars drop by about 10% occasionally. For me personally, that is acceptable and does not affect how I use my device.

To note, the accuracy remains at 1.8m regardless of the position of the device. I have not checked this in a forest or a deep canyon yet.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Thank you pokyyy. Exactly the information I was looking for. Clear and concise. I think I'll stick to my plan and go for the 65s when it becomes available again. Thanks to all who replied.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

I’ve read all this thread which I found interesting , and would like to ask if anyone has compared the the 66s with the 65s.
I have a 65s which I got at a great price, and have the chance to sell it with and buy a 66s with no investment .
Would it make sense ? The 66s seems to have more features and more pratical (with Wi-Fi connection and micro usb ).
But what about precision and screen?

Regarding the 66sr you can buy a 2nd battery from garmin and change it on the fly (like old Nokia phones ) or it is “closed” like the the iphone?

Thank you by now
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

I had the 66s and 66i. The screen resolution and colours were good in both but they were both very buggy so I returned them for a refund.

I have the 65s and am very happy with it even if the screen resolution is not as good but it is perfectly fine for my purpose. It is significantly faster than 66s and 66i. I should say that for me personally all the extra features of 66s and 66i are of no use, I only use GPS as a back up to my paper map or in difficult conditions.

I believe the battery on 66sr requires opening the unit which would void the warranty and probably compromise the waterproofness. When I asked Garmin whether the battery in 66sr could be exchanged by them at the end of its life, I was told the battery was not replaceable! I know you can get the battery from the famous Chinese website though.

Other people may have had a different experience than me.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

pokyyy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 pm I had the 66s and 66i. The screen resolution and colours were good in both but they were both very buggy so I returned them for a refund.

I have the 65s and am very happy with it even if the screen resolution is not as good but it is perfectly fine for my purpose. It is significantly faster than 66s and 66i. I should say that for me personally all the extra features of 66s and 66i are of no use, I only use GPS as a back up to my paper map or in difficult conditions.

I believe the battery on 66sr requires opening the unit which would void the warranty and probably compromise the waterproofness. When I asked Garmin whether the battery in 66sr could be exchanged by them at the end of its life, I was told the battery was not replaceable! I know you can get the battery from the famous Chinese website though.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
In fact when I bought the 65s I had the impression that the 66 series was not stable at all, but somehow I thought that recently it was much better.
I have seen some videos and the 66 seemed slower the 65s, but now I have the confirmation.
Humm, not interested on batteries from that site.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

...I thought that recently it was much better...
I don't know if the 66s or 66i have improved, I was not happy with either of them at the time.

The rechargeable battery in 66i was very good but I still prefer to be able to replace the batteries myself. My Panasonic eneloop pro do a good job.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I purchased the 66s when it was first released. I found it very buggy, and not too user friendly. My main use for it was geocaching. To fully use it for that, it was necessary to switch between apps to use it for that (had to go between the geocaching and map apps). It's a great GPSr with a lot of functionality. But in working with Garmin to resolve the software issues (like not updating the gpx database, and a few other things I can't recall). They even exchanged my unit but that didn't resolve the problems. It also took forever to recharge the built in batteries. I now use the GPSMAP 65s with the topoactive maps (which includes free updates). I always carry extra AA batteries with my. If I recall, you can swap the batteries in the 66 series with regular or rechargable AA batteries. Also GPSrChive has an adpator that allows regular rechargable batteries to be charged in the unit.

skinnie wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:07 am I’ve read all this thread which I found interesting , and would like to ask if anyone has compared the the 66s with the 65s.
I have a 65s which I got at a great price, and have the chance to sell it with and buy a 66s with no investment .
Would it make sense ? The 66s seems to have more features and more pratical (with Wi-Fi connection and micro usb ).
But what about precision and screen?

Regarding the 66sr you can buy a 2nd battery from garmin and change it on the fly (like old Nokia phones ) or it is “closed” like the the iphone?

Thank you by now
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Batteries on the 66 series can be changed without any problems. The user manual shows how to do it. They take standard AA sized batteries. The owners manual shows the process on how to do it.

pokyyy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 pm I had the 66s and 66i. The screen resolution and colours were good in both but they were both very buggy so I returned them for a refund.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”