Track recording issues [Bug 20]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
0x01

Track recording issues [Bug 20]

Unread post by 0x01 »

Hello,

I like to warn you about frustrating track recording issues with GPSMAP 65s.

1. Auto-archive is set by day, but the recorded track is archived every 3000 track points. Which results in many files per day.
2. eTrex Legend HCx could "record track to chip" and it recorded a single file on the SD card for each day. In GPSMAP 65s it records to "Current.gpx" (and 3000 point segments auto-archived, see former point). When manually archiving, the filename will be different from auto-archived. I like to have a single gpx per day. At least I don't like to have different naming convention for files of the same day. Is this possible with GPSMAP 65s?
3. It archives 100+MB gpx waste files. Yes, waste!
4. Active recording is randomly not shown on map / display starts like new recording. Most reproducible by switching pages / opening settings menu pages.
5. Active recording / track is randomly not shown in different zoom levels.
6. (Auto-)Archived recorded tracks disappear from map and cannot be shown. (first need to search complicated, set them as favorite and set them to display on map.)
6.1 when searching for the disappeared track, the list order is not useful at all.

4250.png

Issue with track files is very annoying for archiving tracks.
Issue with disappeared tracks is VERY annoying when out in uncharted area.

Firmware 3.7 (3.5 same issues)

Have fun
0x01
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Track recording issues [Bug 20]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm Hello,

I like to warn you about frustrating track recording issues with GPSMAP 65s.

1. Auto-archive is set by day, but the recorded track is archived every 3000 track points. Which results in many files per day.
All Garmin GPSr have a unique limit to the total number of track points any one tracklog can contain. When this limit is reached, the current track is saved, and a new one is started.

Again, all modern (USB-Mass Storage) Garmin GPSr work this way.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 2. eTrex Legend HCx could "record track to chip" and it recorded a single file on the SD card for each day. In GPSMAP 65s it records to "Current.gpx" (and 3000 point segments auto-archived, see former point).
The older Garmin GPSr, including your Legend HCx, would filter the current tracklog by 'removing' track points as needed to keep the total trip in a single file. This resulted in lost detail and information. The modern devices never discard any track points, and never 'filter out' any data.

More info at GPSrChive > How To... > Tracks and GPSrChive > How To... > Maps
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm When manually archiving, the filename will be different from auto-archived.
Correct. This allows the user to determine if a GPX tracklog was a manual or automated save just by looking at the file name.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm I like to have a single gpx per day. At least I don't like to have different naming convention for files of the same day. Is this possible with GPSMAP 65s?
The GPSMAP 65 maximum points per track is 10k. If you are surpassing this many points in a single track, they will be saved separately, but can be combined again using BaseCamp or other third party GPX editing software. Remember to keep the originals, as the new longer GPX will not be displayed fully on your device.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 3. It archives 100+MB gpx waste files. Yes, waste!
Please provide detailed information here, perhaps screen captures of the files in the device (windows explorer, etc.)

Are you seeing >100MB 'junk' files on your device? In the GPX directory? What are they named? Can you compress and share them?
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 4. Active recording is randomly not shown on map / display starts like new recording. Most reproducible by switching pages / opening settings menu pages.
If easy to reproduce, creating a short video and uploading to web service and sharing here will help greatly.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 5. Active recording / track is randomly not shown in different zoom levels.
Again, a short video to share with Garmin here would be very helpful.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 6. (Auto-)Archived recorded tracks disappear from map and cannot be shown. (first need to search complicated, set them as favorite and set them to display on map.)
Correct. Archived tracks can not be shown on the map. All Garmin GPSr work this way. Please see links above for additional information.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 6.1 when searching for the disappeared track, the list order is not useful at all.
Tracks (and most other data) are displayed by proximity, by default. What sorting method would you prefer?
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm

4250.png

Issue with track files is very annoying for archiving tracks.
Issue with disappeared tracks is VERY annoying when out in uncharted area.

Firmware 3.7 (3.5 same issues)

Have fun
0x01
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

7. Auto-archive recorded track not works: set to daily. Next day, resetting trip computer including tracks. Track from last day is not archived. It is lost.
gpsrchive wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:37 am
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 4. Active recording is randomly not shown on map / display starts like new recording. Most reproducible by switching pages / opening settings menu pages.
If easy to reproduce, creating a short video and uploading to web service and sharing here will help greatly.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 5. Active recording / track is randomly not shown in different zoom levels.
Again, a short video to share with Garmin here would be very helpful.
Firmware 3.70:

GPSMAP 65s Trackrecord No Display.mp4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 5. Active recording / track is randomly not shown in different zoom levels.

Do you have BirdsEye maps enabled there? Can you please retest with all BirdsEye and/or Custom Maps disabled?
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

gpsrchive wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:44 pm Do you have BirdsEye maps enabled there? Can you please retest with all BirdsEye and/or Custom Maps disabled?
I have velomap on the unit: https://www.velomap.org
Preinstalled Birdseye all disabled. Enabled only Garmin Basemap, DEM, TopoActive and velomap (velomap gets rendered as the only map)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please test with velomap disabled.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

7. Auto-archive is random: set to daily.
Track from 2. June is archived on 4. June 9:35.
Track from 3. June is archived on 4. June 17:50
(Unit was in operation from 7:35 on 4. June)
8. Auto-archive not works: set to daily. Track from Current.gpx is not archived when connecting the GPS to USB any day later.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:37 am
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 6. (Auto-)Archived recorded tracks disappear from map and cannot be shown. (first need to search complicated, set them as favorite and set them to display on map.)
Correct. Archived tracks can not be shown on the map. All Garmin GPSr work this way. Please see links above for additional information.
0x01 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:05 pm 6.1 when searching for the disappeared track, the list order is not useful at all.
Tracks (and most other data) are displayed by proximity, by default. What sorting method would you prefer?
I can't make out any sorting method.
I prefer the track stays on screen as long as I don't delete/change it by my own decision.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

0x01 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 pm I prefer the track stays on screen as long as I don't delete/change it by my own decision.
Any 'Favorite Track' set to show on map will remain displayed on the map screen until such time you configure it otherwise.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

After performing some independent testing, we have confirmed that with 'Setup > Tracks > Advanced Setup > Auto Archive = Daily' configured, previously recorded tracklog data is not available in the 'Archived Tracks' directory following the first device power cycle on a subsequent date, and may only be displayed after one or more additional power cycle sequences are performed (two or more in total).

This will be posted as GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Common Issues > Bug 20 and will be reported to Garmin software engineers.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”