GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
Domi93CH

Re: GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Unread post by Domi93CH »

I just buy a 65s yesterday, when i have it i must test this.
And compare with the 64sx i have.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Hello,
I had lost the Galileo satellites, when I turned on the 65s Galileo was still present but with only one satellite and after a while, Galileo disappeared.
I connected the 65s to Garmin Express, synced it and since found the Galileo satellites, so it modifies the * .BIN file in Garmin's CONNECT directory of the 65s.
So every time I lose Galileo I have to connect it to Garmin Express, what a mess .....
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
mimichris

Domi93CH wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:48 am I just buy a 65s yesterday, when i have it i must test this.
And compare with the 64sx i have.
I had a 64s before the 65s, despite its youthful drawbacks (well I hope) it is much better in terms of trace recording precision than the 64s.
boschettuzzo

Unread post by boschettuzzo »

mimichris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:06 pm I had a 64s before the 65s, despite its youthful drawbacks (well I hope) it is much better in terms of trace recording precision than the 64s.
Same for me, tested 65s against 64s and the quality of tracks and points is certainly higher
Domi93CH

Hello

I received my Gpsmap65s today, at the very beginning it also has problems with the Galileo satellites. afterwards these disappeared shortly afterwards and have never appeared again until now. So I was not able to observe a 3 hour long blink. How do I get back to the Galileo signals?
Domi93CH

Now you have to locate the satellites in the open air, then I have 2 Galileo satellites, a third continued to blink but disappeared after about 5-10 minutes. Garmin probably has to increase the time to record because Galileo is likely to send more data or with less speed (battery life increased due to lower power consumption). I'll report that to Garmin
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

Thank you for reporting to Garmin.
I observe the same... satellites usually only get acquired at the time of power-on. Afterwards no new satellites will be detected. This seems a problem for both Galileo and Glonass. GPS works fine.
Workaround (like written somewhere above): use Autolocate (to get this option, turn GPS in demo mode, and afterwards back on)
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
Domi93CH

While geocaching today, I received 8-10 GPS 6 Galileo and 4-6 Glonass satellites the whole time. In my opinion, the main thing is that the device is switched on in the open air. So that the Galileo and Glonass satellites are received at the beginning, as these are no longer searched for later (since these may not be receivable depending on the location, especially the Indian ones). It makes no sense to search for such satellites all the time, if only GPS is possible.

Yes the Autolocate helped me too.

And then i have good Signals from all GNSS
mimichris

Hello,
Even so I do not understand that Garmin chose such a bad GPS chip, when I see my smartphone which immediately receives all the satellites and up to 35 depending on the days and the position of the satellites, moreover it is multiband L5 and E5a its precision is excellent.

I put my 65s up for sale, I would think for a 66sr but it's more expensive.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

I had almost decided on 65s until I read the problems on here but I am still tempted. I can wait see what happens but given my past experience with Garmin, I doubt there will be a solution to this.
I will be interested to hear more about 66sr as that was my second choice but the inbuilt battery does bother me.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”