GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Unread post by mimichris »

Hello,
Today, I turn on the 65s and again the Galileo satellites are flashing, it is indeed a problem of the Sony chipset which takes hours to acquire the satellites as long as they are flashing they are not taken into account for accuracy , the latter comes just from the GPS satellites L1 and L5. Either my 65s has a problem and I have to send it back to Garmin, or it's a very serious fault
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

mimichris wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:29 pm Either my 65s has a problem and I have to send it back to Garmin, or it's a very serious fault
Please bother the Garmin support so they give a higher priority to fix it. If you already did, ask for status update.
They will tell you the unit is defect and the replacement will have the same problem (oh, who guessed...) you can read the story here: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... ulti-gnss/
I have my 3rd 65s. All of it have the problem. You have the problem, others have the problem, and Garmin tell they don't know about that. I don't have kind words for Garmin anymore.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
mimichris

Hello,
My friend who has the 66sr also had this problem which went away not long ago and now every time he uses his 66sr the Galileo satellites are stable and no longer flashing.
However it seems that it is the same Sony chipset ?
mimichris

Hello,
In fact the problem is the acquisition time of the Galileo satellites, yesterday after two hours of operation three satellites no longer flashed, alone, two others were flashing, this morning, they all flash after half an hour. Hope Garmin will release a fix soon.
I wrote to Sony but no response.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

Please try: Start the unit with fresh batteries in the afternoon. Keep it outside overnight (e.g. in front of window). Check for received satellites next morning. For me, no Galileo or Glonass will be received anymore next morning.
boschettuzzo

Unread post by boschettuzzo »

0x01 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:35 pm Please try: Start the unit with fresh batteries in the afternoon. Keep it outside overnight (e.g. in front of window). Check for received satellites next morning. For me, no Galileo or Glonass will be received anymore next morning.
Hi, I'm having similar issues too, wrote to Garmin and they acted like they were totally unaware of the problem. They offered me to RMA the device but everything suggests there is a software bug.

The behavior you describe happens to me if there's no CPE.BIN file in /Garmin/GPS folder. That's a predictive ephemeris file that greatly helps satellites acquisition, it is updated every time you run Garmin Express with the device connected to a PC that is connected to the internet.

When CPE.BIN is present and up to date, the behavior is different: practically all satellites are detected, but Galileo will keep flashing. Then, if I run the autolocate function and leave the device for 3-4 minutes with full sky, all satellites are acquired correctly and stop flashing. Glonass takes a longer time for full acquisition (restarting the device seems to help sometimes) but that's not a big deal, and it could even be normal given the low data rate of L1 downlink.

The workaround is temporary though, because whenever a new Galileo satellite becomes visible into my sky, it will be immediately detected but it will just keep flashing, and I have to run autolocate again to fix that.
At least I found a way to get the maximum accuracy from the device
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

@boschettuzzo thanks for writing here. Glad to read someone with same story, the text could have been written by me.
Sadly autolocate is not something to get maximum accuracy spontaneously and in a short time. Sometimes it not seems to work well, other times the clock is set to 15 Feb 2031 and acquisition takes very long. Best is you don't move for few minutes. And if you're in a valley starting autolocate you may have less satellites than before. One time I startet autolocate and once it has had first location I moved on - approx 1 minute later it alarmed me that it has lost satellites. Autolocated new and waited for more time before moving on, worked then. The unit is buggy.
boschettuzzo

Unread post by boschettuzzo »

0x01 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:56 pm @boschettuzzo thanks for writing here. Glad to read someone with same story, the text could have been written by me.
Sadly autolocate is not something to get maximum accuracy spontaneously and in a short time. Sometimes it not seems to work well, other times the clock is set to 15 Feb 2031 and acquisition takes very long. Best is you don't move for few minutes. And if you're in a valley starting autolocate you may have less satellites than before. One time I startet autolocate and once it has had first location I moved on - approx 1 minute later it alarmed me that it has lost satellites. Autolocated new and waited for more time before moving on, worked then. The unit is buggy.
You're right, the workaround is really effective only if you can stand for a few minutes under a very clear sky.
If I do that and cpe.bin is recent enough, pretty much every satellite will be acquired correctly. That never failed for me.

Anyway, if such a simple trick works for Galileo satellites acquisiton, it makes me hope it will be easy for Garmin to fix the issue with a software update.
mimichris

Hello,
To activate autolocation, you have to put in demo mode, then go to "menu" then activate "autolocate" is that correct?
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

Yes, this is correct.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”