GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: GPSMAP65s - Galileo Satellites Flashing [Bug 8]

Unread post by ConiKost »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 am
pokyyy wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 pm I generally have a low tolerance with the Garmin stuff and tend to send them back for a refund if they are faulty from the word go.
Perfect! This way they will have another 'nearly new' unit to wipe clean and send out to another impatient Garmin user that wants to trade their 'brand new' GPSr in for a used one! (and then they can send you theirs)

Seriously, anyone who is not brand new to Garmin understands that most new products are still in 'beta' when released, and that most bugs will get worked out as well as new features added during the first 24 months of the devices life span.
Basically, wait 1-2 years, when Garmin has released a new product and most of the bugs should be solved :D
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

ConiKost wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 am
Basically, wait 1-2 years, when Garmin has released a new product and most of the bugs should be solved :D
Both the 65s and the 66sr are derived from the 64sx and the 66s respectively, they are the same to which they added the multiband, so they are not new GPS. They should be performing bug free.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

mimichris wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:31 am
ConiKost wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 am
Both the 65s and the 66sr are derived from the 64sx and the 66s respectively, they are the same to which they added the multiband, so they are not new GPS. They should be performing bug free.
Haha :D (Sorry) But we are talking about Garmin. IMHO, they even are making, since they were hacked, even more bugs as before.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 am
Perfect! This way they will have another 'nearly new' unit to wipe clean and send out to another impatient Garmin user that wants to trade their 'brand new' GPSr in for a used one! (and then they can send you theirs)
The only difference is that when it is faulty, I send it back in a heavily used state even if I have not used it much. If they want to repackage that and send it to someone else, they can only use the circuitry and nothing else. :D
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What does that accomplish?

The case is the least expensive part of the device...
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Anyway, I got the 65s and the screen is actually better than I had imagined. I just can't get my OS map onto it to see what it looks like.
I don't know if this belonged to someone else or Garmin had put some samples on this device (JNX files?), one of Montblanc, one in Austria and one in the UK, all were of poor resolution, not viewable if the zoom is less than 200m. That is why I want to check if the proper UK OS map is better.

Only one satellite flashes at the moment.
mrfreeze

Unread post by mrfreeze »

Hi,

I got my 65s three days ago. Software version 4.00. I cannot find any realeasenotes or any information about that release. The last 3 days I did some tests. The first day I've activated the device outside far away from buildings or something like that. I went for a walk for about 3 hours. During that period GPS had 8 visible satellites, Galileo had 6 satellites and Glonass 8-9. The Galileo satellites were all flashing also the display where you can see the quality of the signal. After a few minutes 3 satellites and the display with the signal quality stopped flashing. For all 6 satellites. The other three satellites never stopped flashing.
Two days ago I've activated the device inside a building and than went outside for a 1.5 hours walk. GPS was the same as on the first day. Galileo saw only 4 satellites and only one stopped flashing. The display with the signal quality stopped flashing for all 4 satellites. Glonass only could see 4 satellites.
Yesterday I activated the device outside and far away from buildings again. GPS was still the same. Galileo could see up to 6 satellites again and 3 of them stopped flashing again. Glonass could see 6 satellites.
Next time I'll do a check with my Android and GPSTest. Which satellites it can see.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can you upload a screen capture of your GPSMAP 65 Setup > About page, please?
mrfreeze

Unread post by mrfreeze »

18310.bmp

Hm. Garmin Express says "Version 3.70":

GarminExpress.png

I´m confused now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mrfreeze on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!

Firmware version 4.00 has not been published, yet clearly they are putting it on new devices.

Ignore Garmin Express, it currently has many problems.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”