GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Very long startup-time [Bug 41]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Interesting results....
rgschmidt

Unread post by rgschmidt »

I experience exactly the same effect. I tried analysing the correlation between the number of progress bars and the numbers of Geocaches/Tracks/Routes but I have no clue at all.
Garmin GPSMAP 65S | Garmin GPSMAP 66SR | Garmin GPSMAP 66ST | Garmin Extrex 30
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

In a previous post, I wrote:
Catch wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:26 pm I have a feeling that the number of cycles increases each time I am updating the GGZ/GPX files.
I think I can confirm the behaviour. Since my last post some weeks ago, I notice that the number of progress bar cycles increases for each update. When I updated today, It took 1 hour and 10 minutes before the map showed up. This is frustrating, and I hope this is fixed in a new firmware release shortly.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

For clarity, when you say 'each time I update', are you are referring to

A) adding + removing GPX/GGZ files, or
B) replacing existing GPX/GGZ files, or
C) adding + removing + replacing GPX/GGZ files?

And which firmware version?
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:08 pm For clarity, when you say 'each time I update', are you are referring to

A) adding + removing GPX/GGZ files, or
B) replacing existing GPX/GGZ files, or
C) adding + removing + replacing GPX/GGZ files?

And which firmware version?
B) Replacing existing GPX/GGZ and POI files using the GarminExport macro in GSAK.
FW 6.40
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

After upgrading to FW 7.10, I can see that there is no change with regards to the very long startup-time :(
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

After hours and hours of testing with different combinations of GGZ, GPX and POI files and file sizes, I find that the very long startup-time is related to child waypoints. When child waypoints are included in the Geocache GPX files or as a separate GPX file in addition to Geocaches in a GGZ file, the number of progress bar cycles is high, thus the startup-time is very long.
With Geocaches only in a GGZ or GPX file and child waypoints as POIs, no matter of file size, the GPS starts up as expected with only one progress bar cycle.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you Catch, we have an inquiry in at Garmin and are awaiting a response.
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

Catch wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:02 pm After hours and hours of testing with different combinations of GGZ, GPX and POI files and file sizes, I find that the very long startup-time is related to child waypoints. When child waypoints are included in the Geocache GPX files or as a separate GPX file in addition to Geocaches in a GGZ file, the number of progress bar cycles is high, thus the startup-time is very long.
With Geocaches only in a GGZ or GPX file and child waypoints as POIs, no matter of file size, the GPS starts up as expected with only one progress bar cycle.
One more test: When adding the child waypoint GPX file separately, the GPS do also start up with only one progress bar cycle.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Catch wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:44 amOne more test: When adding the child waypoint GPX file separately, the GPS do also start up with only one progress bar cycle.
For clarification, are you referring to adding the 'additional_waypoints.gpx' file?

Return to “Montana 7x0”