Geocaching "Found" lag

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
maingray3

Geocaching "Found" lag

Unread post by maingray3 »

This unit suffers from the same lag as earlier units developed a couple of years ago, and even longer on the 700i; in geocaching mode, mark a cache as found. If you hit "find next closest" you can't do too quickly; you have to wait a good few seconds. For a while, you can see both a smiley face icon and the unfound cache icon overlaying each other on the map. This used to be instantaneous.

Any ideas?

700i,ggx and gpx files. SD card or internal.

-
maingray
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocaching "Found" lag

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Are you using only GPX and GGZ files? No GCLive data?

How many, and what size are the files?
maingray3

No live data.

The file sizes and number vary dramatically, but I've seen this consistently. I can test with a smaller number of caches in the gpx load.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If the delay is obvious enough, a short video would be very helpful.
maingray3

Sorry, been stuck not doing any fun activities.

https://imgur.com/a/oUPNWaY

Some time ago, probably on an Oregon, this would be instantaneous where "find next closest" would go the next closest unfound cache. A certain update caused this behaviour to happen, where you would have to wait some time (~20 seconds) for "next closest' to correctly navigate to the closest unfound and not the cache you just found. This behaviour stuck in all models and firmware since. It's very pronounced on the Montana 7xx.

In the video, settings are not showing found caches on map. You can see the new smiley and unfound icon sitting on top of each other for a while. Find Next Closest will always jump back to the cache you just logged while both icons are present on the map. 5,000 caches in a GPX on internal memory.

On this trip, I also noted that "lock on road" was also not being turned off with Direct Routing, even though the Setting was turned off. Toggling back and forth did not fix, nor did changing the routing type. I remember this being an issue with an older unit at some point which was fixed.
Last edited by maingray3 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Which firmware version was installed for that video?
maingray3

v4.20
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Interesting.

I am unable to duplicate what I see in your video, regardless of routing settings selected (I tried Prompted, Direct, Hiking, etc.)

When I select 'Find Next Closest', I am presented with a screen that asks if I want to add the next destination as a 'Via Point' or 'New Destination' - which I did not see in your video. Do you ever see this? (I think this is also a bug)

I then select 'New Destination' and it routes me to the next closest geocache as expected.
maingray3

So if you log a cache as found, select "find next closest" straight away it selects the nearest unfound, not the cach you just logged? With this unit, the montana 680t and the Oregon 750 I have to wait a length of time before doing this process works otherwise it just jumps back to the one you just logged.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

maingray3 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 am So if you log a cache as found, select "find next closest" straight away it selects the nearest unfound, not the cach you just logged?
Correct.
maingray3 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 am With this unit, the montana 680t and the Oregon 750 I have to wait a length of time before doing this process works otherwise it just jumps back to the one you just logged.
That sounds familiar. I will have to test those also. May be related to number of geocaches loaded, IDK.

Return to “Montana 7x0”