Montana 7x0 Firmware 4.20

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
wwerner

Montana 7x0 Firmware 4.20

Unread post by wwerner »

Montana 7x0 Firmware Update 4.20 as of 14AUG20:

Changes made from version 3.10 to 4.20:

- Added Collections Manager.
- Added confirmation prompt to 'Reposition Here' for a waypoint in waypoint manager.
- Added red led blink when battery is low.
- Added page indicator to trip computer when trip computer has more than one page of data fields.
- Added support for the additional waypoints part of a geocache to be downloaded via geocaching live.
- Added geocache proximity alerts.
- Added battery percentage to the status bar.
- Improved birdseye download speed and speed estimates.
- Improved inReach contact selection indication.
- Improved keyboard to auto-shift after newline is entered.
- Improved ability to touch north arrow on map.
- Improved mark waypoint page.
- Fixed various translation issues.
- Fixed page flow issue after exiting wifi page after having accessed it via the status page.
- Fixed issue with 'View Map' from the route planner elevation plot.
- Fixed issue causing duplicate birdseye downloads to show up in the birdseye list.
- Fixed issues with automatic wifi toggling on flashlight page.
- Fixed issue with map zoom level resetting after having accessed active weather from the status page.
- Fixed geocache name and icon overlap in geocache dashboard.
- Fixed tide chart UI issues.
- Fixed issue where power button would initiate navigation when viewing Chirp information.
- Fixed label centering on keyboard.
- Fixed issues with photo viewer.

Regards WWERNER
bonstetten

Re: Montana 7x0 Firmware 4.20

Unread post by bonstetten »

Cool -some of the geocaching functions we were waiting for years now!
Hope this functions will also be available on the Oregon 7x0 and GPSMAP 66.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Wonders Never Cease!

You may actually get what you ask for.... 8^)
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

Hi all
I got my device yesterday. After the update to 4.20 I did a short walk and also made some configuration changes. So far this is probably the new device with the least issues I ever ordered from Garmin. Maybe Garmin really improved their testing process.

I found two issues with loading maps:
a) I could not download and load the Garmin City Navigator Europe with my Mac Garmin Express. I had to use a Windows PC. With my Mac I got the strange message "SD Card is not readable".
b) OSM Maps loaded to my SD Card are not visible in the device. I can only see Garmin's own maps.

Regards
WWERNER
GPSrChive
Site Admin

This is a commonly reported problem with microSD cards formatted FAT32 with a Mac.

Garmin is currently looking into the issue.

Copying all data from card to a temporary location, then reformatting the card FAT32 with a PC before loading maps etc back to the card may resolve the issue for you.

Please let us know!
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

I followed your advice to format the card using a Windows machine but I still can see only Garmin Maps but not the OSM Maps.
By the way: I never formatted the card using a Mac. It was a new SandDisk card formatted by the SanDisk.

Regards
WERNER
GPSrChive
Site Admin

OK, that rules that one out. Hopefully they will have this resolved in the next firmware update, due out any day now....

Please do contact Garmin by phone if you can, and pressure them to get this resolved if it is not already (perhaps they can tell you if the next update will include a fix for this issue?)
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

I tried to verify the issue and bought another fresh Micro SD Card. Same result: Only the original GARMIN Maps are recognized but none of the OSM cards.
Regards
WERNER
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Strange. We have many OSM maps on our Montana 7x0 microSD card and they are all visible/available.

Which OSM maps are you loading?

Can you post screen captures of your Map Configuration pages showing all maps that are displayed/available, and then a screen capture of the microSD\Garmin\ directory showing the maps loaded?

Thank You!
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

In the meantime I tried something different. So far I loaded the OSM Map from www.frikart.no. I tested some Maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl. I loaded two maps (Switzerland, Germany) and suprise: They worked well.
This is strange. My Garmin GPSMAP66 has no issues with the Frikart OSM Maps. So we have maybe two issues:
- Some Cards can't be handled by Garmin Express Mac (which is why I could not load City Navigator CN with my Mac but with Windows)
- The Montana 700 has difficulties with certain variations of OSM Maps (in my case Frikart.no).
Regards
Werner

Return to “Montana 7x0”