Missing data field 'ascent to ...' [Request 57]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
hmpf

Missing data field 'ascent to ...' [Request 57]

Unread post by hmpf »

Hi All

Is it a problem if a function is reported as "requested" although it is already present in Edge 1030 for example?
I found #57 in the
Spoiler
as "requested" instead of "missing".
Maybe this would encourage GARMIN to implement this feature faster, since it is already there and doesn't need to be scripted.

I'm talking about the missing features:
Asc. to Next Course Pt.
The remaining ascent to the next point on the course.
Ascent Remaining
During a workout or course, the remaining ascent when you are using an elevation target.

Thomas
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Missing data field 'ascent to ...' [Request 57]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Near the top of the Montana Common Issues page you will see:

Missing Features (06/03/02): Features that are available with similar Garmin products.
Requested Features (47/07/05): Request for new or improved functionality not currently implemented.

We do not consider bicycle computers to be 'similar Garmin products' when compared to the Montana series devices. Even Garmin keeps them both separated into different departments and categories. This leaves us with a 'Request for new or improved functionality not currently implemented.'
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

While reviewing this request, I couldn't help but wonder if Vertical Distance to Next and Vertical Distance to Destination might provide a similar result?
hmpf

Unread post by hmpf »

Thanks for your suggestion!

Unfortunately, the "Vertical Distance to Target" only shows the difference between the current point and the final Destination. So if you are at the same altitude as the target, the "Vertical Distance to Destination" shows ZERO meters.

But if I have 3 hills to climb before I reach my destination, I want to know the total "Ascent Remaining" over those 3 hills.
The Edge 1030 bike computer can do that, so I thought it should be no problem for Garmin to implement this feature for the Montana as well.

So hopefully lot's of other users would like to know the remaining ascent on their tour and can somehow vote for this
requested feature:

57. Please add 'Ascent to Next', 'Ascent to Dest', 'Descent to Next', and 'Descent to Dest' data fields.

Please excuse my English, hopefully I could explain my request.

Return to “Montana 7x0”