Loss of data while recording an e-mtb ride

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
codix64

Loss of data while recording an e-mtb ride

Unread post by codix64 »

Hello,
I use Montana 700 in my e-mtb rides to discover new routes.
I have my E-MTB's ANT+ sensors (cadence, speed, battery, etc..) and a heart rate monitor connected to Montana to record all my ride data.
I have installed from Connect IQ, the "e-bike multifield" data field
which allows me to view battery percentage, km remaining and speed, while using the Montana data fields to view cadence.
Looking at my ride data on Connect, I have noticed a data loss of several minutes that is repeated on average two or three times per ride.
This happens with all firmware from 15.00 onward, I have not tried with earlier ones but I assume it is the same..
What could be the cause?

Thanks in advance!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Loss of data while recording an e-mtb ride

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We would first want to inspect the recorded activity FIT and GPX files taken directly from the Montana 7x0.

Please send these files to:
contact
Webmaster at GPSrChive dot com
codix64

Unread post by codix64 »

Thank you for your quick reply,
I've sent an e-mail with requested files (gpx and fit)
Please tell me if you received the files!
Themistokles

Unread post by Themistokles »

@OP

Could you please tell us what exactly you mean by data loss? Has all recording generally stopped during the data loss, or is it certain data that's missing while other data has been recorded? Are you absolutely sure that you had GPS reception during your whole ride? And what happens if you try without the "e-bike multifield" data field (that is. could you uninstall that field, repeat the ride and examine the recordings to see whether there are still gaps)?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I have inspected the files you shared privately, and they do not appear to be directly from the device itself, but rather from Connect.

I can only find some short time periods where the Cadence data appears to drop out, but all other data appears to be OK throughout the ride.

Is the intermittent Cadence drop out what you are referring to?
codix64

Unread post by codix64 »

Hello,
Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted the .FIT and GPX files present on Montana.
I was able to post the ones taken from Connect where however you can clearly see the interruptions in recording all the data
( heart rate, speed, cadence) while the route recording seems to be fine.
GPS/ GLONASS reception has always been perfect during recording.... I can't figure out where the problem might be because with the EDGE1030 I was using before the Montana, everything worked fine....

Thank you so much for your help!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

As discussed via email, we will wait for a new set of FIT and GPX files from your Montana and we will continue testing then...
codix64

Unread post by codix64 »

Hello,
I've sent privately a new files GPX and FIT for your analysis :D

i look forward to hearing from you :D
Thank you very much!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have uploaded and inspected your files, and now request another test, this time make a copy of the profile you were using for these rides, and use the new profile for the next ride, but this time disable the Connect IQ multifield data field you were using.

Please send us again the recordings (FIT, GPX) from this ride.

Thank you!
codix64

Unread post by codix64 »

Ok,
I will create a new profile with the same personal data, with the same data field, but without "E-BIKE MULTIFIELD" data fields enabled.
Is correct?

Another strange thing is a calories data field, that shown an a value on Montana display and another value on Connect app ( or PC page)
Tipically the value shown on Connect it's way smaller than value shown on Montana... Which one is the right?

Thank you very much for your support!

Return to “Montana 7x0”