Favorite Menu Focus Failure - Geocaching [Bug 134]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
arniebarney

Favorite Menu Focus Failure - Geocaching [Bug 134]

Unread post by arniebarney »

I'm not sure if this annoyance I spotted is due to 15.10 or 15.00 update but if I start up the gps, select a geocache and choose Go, it will take me to the map screen as expected and the focus will be on the map icon at the bottom of the screen. However if I press the geocaching icon to enter the cache page and return to the map the focus then becomes the geocache icon at the bottom. So, if I want to return to the cache page, I must press another icon before I can return to the cache page. Looks like a flag is not being set programmatically when returning to the map screen. Can anyone else replicate this?

Spoiler
correct focus.png
incorrect focus.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Montana 700, Monterra, Oregon 450
wscherps

Re: Favorite Menu Focus Failure - Geocaching [Bug 134]

Unread post by wscherps »

I can confirm this issue.
I have discovered this bug a 2 weeks ago.
I downgrade my device back to V13.20 and wait until it is fixed again.

Wilfried Koersel Belgium
Montana 700 FW13.20
LeBombardier

Unread post by LeBombardier »

Sad news to report - it's potentially worse in v15.20.

Today I was out Geocaching, got home and was presented with a black bottom favourites bar and a power button that only switched the screen on and off. This of course meant I was locked into the Geocaching screen only - not ability to get to menus. Swiping down from the top just moved the Geocaching map, and scrolling around on the black favourites bar at the bottom also controlled the Geocaching map.

No amount of removing batteries, leaving them out of the device for a while, or linking up to Garmin Express with a sync would throw it off - the Geocaching screen would always show on boot up with the black favourites bar at the bottom.

Potential trigger was that today on the field I re-ordered the bottom favourites bar/menu to (in order) Geoaching, Map, Compass, Recording Controls. It didn't create an immediate issue, but when getting home after receiving a Chrip nearby notification it did create that issue for the first time.

My guess is having the Geocaching screen in the leftmost position on the favourites bar means it by default opens that up first on boot. Garmin might not be liking that and layering it over the garmin controls. Will try to repro and take a photo - I stupidly didn't Please try to repro amongst yourselves to on 15.20.
LeBombardier

OK, found the trigger. It's all of the above in terms of config, but it's when I plug the device to a powered USB cable (genuine) when it's switched off prior that it wipes the lower favourites bar out and top menu functionality.

As you've all mentioned, selecting a Geocache and clicking 'Go' brings everything back to normal.
Spoiler
The attached video shows how the power button (other than double click) completely stops working, bottom favourites bar stops working, and top status bar stop working. It essentially bricks the device until you click 'go'. Note I'm placing my finger on boot over personal details, so that's not relevant to the test. I also accidentally forgot to stop navigation before filming - that too is not relevant as the issue presents regardless.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Quick note: The first icon in the Favorite Bar will open by default each time the device is booted!

Thank you for the excellent video and description - both have been submitted to Garmin engineering team for review!
LeBombardier

Lovely, thank you, and also thanks for adding the video to the bug examples. Are you folks able to repro? I'd be keen to see how specific to me this flow is. Would be useful for Garmin's engineers to know the minimum environment needed to trigger the issue, which would help narrow down the cause.

It's such a messy device - as an engineer myself I somewhat envy how much fun they must have debugging and fixing these issues. I got seriously bored in my last job as the environment I was working in was far too clean for my liking! :D
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Good news: Garmin software engineers have been able to replicate this issue and are working on a solution!
LeBombardier

Happy to confirm the solution Garmin deployed as stable months later. Many thanks! :)

Return to “Montana 7x0”