Broken route line [Bug 92]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
lost

Broken route line [Bug 92]

Unread post by lost »

I contacted garmin 4 months ago for this but know nothing more than that they are looking at the problem.
The navigation works perfectly with distance to the next turn, voice instructions when vehicle holders are used, the right lane etc.

It is only the line you have to follow on the map that is drawn incorrectly on some trips.

Short journeys and inside the city it works without problems, but on longer journeys the line is sometimes incorrectly drawn.

The error varies between driving the shortest distance, driving the shortest time, motorcycle the shortest distance and motorcycle the shortest time.
The same address and driving style always give the same error in the same place.

The error happens when the GPS has to calculate the path to the target.
In very rare cases, the line can look like something a 3-year-old drew. (see picture 3.bmp)

Made a complete reset recently, both the road map and the software are updated as soon as a new one is available.
Montana 750i FW 10.80

1.bmp
2.bmp
3.bmp
5.bmp
11.bmp
7.bmp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Broken route line [Bug 92]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Does the device still route you properly through the 'missing route line' areas, as if the line were there?
lost

Unread post by lost »

Yes, everything works as it should even when the line is gone.
If I turn off in the wrong place when the line is gone, the GPS will recalculate the route immediately.
If the GPS recalculates during the trip or if I do it manually, the line almost always comes back.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Information forwarded to Garmin Software Team for consideration.

Thank you.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi. For information.
The same can be observed on 66st. Routing works just well.
The issue is only visible for longer routes, around 500 km or longer. (give or take 100 km).
lost

Unread post by lost »

lost wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:12 am If the GPS recalculates during the trip or if I do it manually, the line almost always comes back.
I wrote a little wrong here.
If the GPS has calculated a route and the route line is broken and I recalculate immediately, there will be no difference.
But if I drive a bit and come into an area that is not painted and recalculate the route, the line is usually drawn.

Thanks for the information 987, it might be easier for garmin to spend time on the problem if more people have the same problem.

My shortest route that has been broken has been 45km, but the longer the route the more can go wrong
Last edited by lost on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Beam

Unread post by Jim Beam »

Planned a 580km test-route and on that route i see a broken line 2 times. It is not as bad as user "lost" his route, but you can see the broken line on the photo.

IMG-6841.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

I tried mulitiple >600km length routes, but in every case I was not able to reproduce. I wonder why?
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
lost

Unread post by lost »

Have you tried the same trip but different driving methods.
Car shortest distance, car shortest time, motorcycle shortest distance and motorcycle shortest time.

For me, a driving style can work flawlessly for a certain route, but another driving style can draw the line wrong.

Another route may be the opposite so the driving mode worked may show errors on the line.

I can not find any connection on which routes are wrong.
2000 km through europe can work without errors while 45 km will be wrong.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

I was now able to reproduce with a smaller 160km length route. So still present in firmware 10.90.

465.jpg
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)

Return to “Montana 7x0”