Firmware 9.20 Routing Issues [Bugs 77, 78]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: Firmware 9.20 Routing Issues [Bugs 77, 78]

Unread post by ConiKost »

Allright, I did now the firmware downgrade to 8.50. This also triggered a master reset, as it's usual for Garmin to do that on a downgrade. The bad news it, routing still does NOT work. And this is now something, I absolutly do not understand. I drove about 4000km with firmware 8.50 and never had any issues with routing. Now, the same error persists and after I started a route, no turn-by-burn in text or audio. It looks exactly the same, as on previous screenshots.

As a next step, i removed the SD card, which has all my additional maps installed. So City Navigator is the only map left, which is on internal storage installed. This did not help. Also removed, redownloaded and reinstalled City Navigator with Garmin Express, which did not help.

I mean seriously, what can be wrong?! Simple A->B routing must work in Automotive profile. And it was working before I started for the first time the firmware 9.20 update.

It really looks like some defective part here.
Last edited by ConiKost on Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

But the routing still works with other maps, though, correct?
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:49 pm But the routing still works with other maps, though, correct?
No. Also completely stopped. It worked a few times and then completely stopped working and behaved same as with CN. Also took my GPSMap 276Cx along side with me, which just worked fine and started to route on the same street, while Montana does not. Both used the same target.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You may need to walk away from the unit for awhile, then return after a rest and reinspect all the device settings.

I cannot imagine any internal hardware failure that would create only this specific behavior.

Perhaps you might want to consider testing with a firmware several versions older.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:58 pm You may need to walk away from the unit for awhile, then return after a rest and reinspect all the device settings.
Maybe, my problem is only, I need that unit in 3 weeks for a longer vacation..
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:58 pm I cannot imagine any internal hardware failure that would create only this specific behavior.
Yeah, I also can't really image. But something must be clearly borked. I wonder, if firmware 9.20 could have updated something, which is not reverted by older firmware?
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:58 pm Perhaps you might want to consider testing with a firmware several versions older.
It makes me really worry, why firmware 8.50 doesn't work either, as it was for many kilometers working. Basically, it all started since I flashed for first time firmware 9.20. Will try still an older one, but I don't think, it will help.
ConiKost

Downgrade to firmware 4.20 did not changed anything :cry:

I am still thinking, this could be related to "Lock on Road" function. As you saw on latest screenshots, it is not snapping to road during navigation. But this option is enabled.. This would fit the scenario with showing "Continue to .."
ConiKost

I also noticed, if device is being put into GPS demo mode, routing works in simulation mode just fine. In every firmware version including 9.20.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I just selected a few 'random' destinations to see what route was calculated on my Montana 750i v920.

The first destination was less than 5 miles away, and the green bar at the top displayed "Continue to ****** Rd", naming the third road I would turn onto from my current location. Completely skipped the first two roads, which accounted for more than one mile of travel distance! Selecting the green bar opened the 'Active Route' list, and this also failed to make any mention of the first two roads for the route clearly displayed on the map page by the large magenta line!

Another destination, some 20 miles in distance was also tested, with identical results.

The next half dozen destinations, all selected at random, ranging from a few miles distance to more than 50 miles away all provided identical results. The first mile plus of the displayed route was 'skipped over' by the guidance interface.

Additional testing did finally provide directions for the first two roads in the displayed route, but only one time, and I have been unable to duplicate it again since.

I did also try changing the 'Routing Activity' to Motorcycle Driving, Mountain Biking, and Tour Cycling just to see if it had any effect on the calculated route. It never changed the route, but each time I was presented with the "Only 50 points can be used for On Road navigation" warning.

The only Maps enabled were CNNA 2022.20 and the Garmin WW Autoroute DEM. Drive profile was enabled, just as Garmin configured it, and no routing restrictions have been enabled.

I can not say if this is all due to an issue with the firmware in the Montana 7x0, or if it is a routing table issue within the City Navigator maps, or even a combination of the two....

Certainly, Routing does not function as intended or advertised in the current state.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm The first destination was less than 5 miles away, and the green bar at the top displayed "Continue to ****** Rd", naming the third road I would turn onto from my current location. Completely skipped the first two roads, which accounted for more than one mile of travel distance! Selecting the green bar opened the 'Active Route' list, and this also failed to make any mention of the first two roads for the route clearly displayed on the map page by the large magenta line!
Sounds familiar, I had this issue also once, but wasn't able to reproduce again. At least, in my tests and currently, the next road is being shown correctly with "Continue to <Street>".
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm I did also try changing the 'Routing Activity' to Motorcycle Driving, Mountain Biking, and Tour Cycling just to see if it had any effect on the calculated route. It never changed the route, but each time I was presented with the "Only 50 points can be used for On Road navigation" warning.
Yep, getting that also sometimes, but not fully reproducible here.
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm The only Maps enabled were CNNA 2022.20 and the Garmin WW Autoroute DEM. Drive profile was enabled, just as Garmin configured it, and no routing restrictions have been enabled.
Same as my settings.
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm I can not say if this is all due to an issue with the firmware in the Montana 7x0, or if it is a routing table issue within the City Navigator maps, or even a combination of the two....

Certainly, Routing does not function as intended or advertised in the current state.
At least for EU maps, I don't think, that this is an issue with those maps, as the problem did not existed in older firmware and I had with that firmware already the same maps.
ConiKost

I tried and removed the battery for a few hours, but it did not help. So I am now completly out of ideas. Montana does not regognize, when I am on the road. I highly doubt, that this is an setting, which is wrong, when it's working fine in GPS demo mode.

Return to “Montana 7x0”