Firmware 9.20 Routing Issues [Bugs 77, 78]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Firmware 9.20 Routing Issues [Bugs 77, 78]

Unread post by ConiKost »

As a split from the main Thread for firmware 9.20.

I noticed, that firmware 9.20 broke the routing completly broken for me. First of all, it does not matter, if I start an imported route from BaseCamp or plan a route on Montan directly or just A->B via Where To?.

But I noticed the following problems.

1) In 95% of my tests, turn-by-turn will stop after reaching first via point or after shutdown and power-on during a pause.
This means, purple line is still shown, but turn-by-turn instructions will just stop. So no audio is being said and also guidance text box stops to say, instead, it tells me "go to <street>". This behavior is common, when you leave the route. But in this case, I am on the route and have not leaved it.

As a 'sub-problem' of this issue, I also get sometimes some audio turn-by-turn spoken, even, when it still just says 'go to <street>'. Something is clearly messed up.

2) If I plan a direct route A->B and it recalculates, it just fails and complains about having a route with more than 50 waypoints. How is that even possible with a simple A->B route? Seems just broken.

When I do revert to firmware 8.50 back, all problems are gone!
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Firmware 9.20 Routing Issues [Bugs 77, 78]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

During my limited testing last week I also observed the 50 point limit warning after selecting Where To? > Waypoint > Automotive > Shortest Distance.

I also observed spoken directions telling me my exit was I n the wrong side of the road, i.e. "Stay Left" or "Take the exit on the left" for exits on the right side of the highway.

Almost immediately after starting the automotive route described above, the unit pronounced that I had "arrived at the via point" even though there was only one via Point and it was more than 25 miles away.

I will do more testing this week, please continue to log your findings here for documentation to provide Garmin.
ConiKost

Can anyone confirm, that this is related to firmware 9.20 and CN maps? A naviboard user noticed that they only have problems with CN maps, but none when using OSM maps.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I am using CNNA 2022.20 maps on my Montana, I will try testing with others also to see if the same issues are present. This may all be a Garmin Map issue.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:39 pm I am using CNNA 2022.20 maps on my Montana, I will try testing with others also to see if the same issues are present. This may all be a Garmin Map issue.
Just for reference, I am using CN 2021.20 Europe (NT Europe 2022.* does not exist.)
ConiKost

After I have performed my Master Reset, I can say, as for current state, that Montana 750i is completly unsuable for me in this state.

No Routing works with firwmare 9.20 anymore. It does not matter, if I start via "Where To?" a simple A->B calculated route or an imported route from BaseCamp. No turn-by-turn is spoken or shown as text. I only see "Continue to <Street>" and the street name changes from time to time. The purple line is still visible and I am on that route. It does not even matter, which activity I choose. See screenshot.

This seems to be related only to City Navigator. If I do disable City Navigator and enable an OSM map, all routing suddenly works. So there is something completly broken with firmware 9.20 and City Navigator for me, as I am not able to route anymore any route on City Navigator. I double checked, all maps are disabled, except CN + Worldwide.

Route.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can you please post a screen capture showing it working in same area with OSM maps?
ConiKost

As for now, I am unable to duplicate again. Worse, nothing works anymore!

I did now perform again a master reset, to be 100% sure. After reset, I didn't change anything, except enabled profile 'Automotive'. Then, I did just run a simple A->B navigation on CN and OSM.

None maps work. I get on both maps the problem, that navigation starts, but no turn-by-turn text or audio.
I only noticed, that I am not shown fully on the route. Could be the option 'Lock on Route' not working? I tried to set again to No and afterwards back to Yes. Still no change.

I am really starting to think, that my device could be faulty and needs to be RMAed?!
As a next step, I will now try to downgrade back to 8.50 and see what happens.

CN.png
OSM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I seriously doubt anything is wrong with your Montana 7x0. Almost certainly there is a setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted, and I suspect it will be related to enabled maps.

Are you actually opening the Setup > Maps > Configure Maps page to verify all enabled/disabled maps? Do not rely on the Map page Layer Menu to do this correctly (it will not). You must always confirm and verify which maps are enabled and which are disabled, including any KMZ maps that may be loaded to the device (probably should remove any KMZ maps before continuing testing).

Going back and testing a few prior firmware versions to see if the behavior is still present is probably the best course of action at this time. Be sure to remove all your personal data from the device before testing.

We eagerly await a report on your results!
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:22 pm Are you actually opening the Setup > Maps > Configure Maps page to verify all enabled/disabled maps? Do not rely on the Map page Layer Menu to do this correctly (it will not). You must always confirm and verify which maps are enabled and which are disabled, including any KMZ maps that may be loaded to the device (probably should remove any KMZ maps before continuing testing).
Yes, thats exactly the menu, to which I am refering. During test, only CN East/West or Freizeitkarte_DEU (OSM) was enabled. Never both at the same time. All other maps disabled, set to Off. I also have to say, I have more installed maps from Garmin, which I bought.

Return to “Montana 7x0”