Montana 700 turning off when in USB mode and connected to Express

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
Themistokles

Montana 700 turning off when in USB mode and connected to Express

Unread post by Themistokles »

Dear all,

I'm having a weird problem which I just have found by random.

I wanted to update the firmware on my Montana 700. I can't do that via OTA because Garmin still does not provide all ASCII characters in the device's virtual keyboards, so I can't enter my WiFi password on the device and thus have to go without WiFi.

Therefore, I have installed the newest Garmin Express 7.7.1.0 for Windows. I turned on the device, connected it via USB to my PC, and started Garmin Express. After starting Garmin Express, the device shuts down unexpectedly after a random time (somewhere between one second and one minute). Given that, there is no chance that Garmin Express can update anything, because the connection to the device gets lost too fast.

After the device has shut down that way, there is no chance to turn it on again using the power button. Instead, I have to disconnect it from USB, remove the battery, and re-insert the battery. Then I can turn it on again using the power button. I have gone through this procedure a dozen of times now and I have still no updates.

For the moment, I have given up because I have the feeling that I'll soon ruin the battery contacts by constantly removing and inserting the battery.

Did anybody experience similar problems? What is the solution?

Best regards, and thank you very much in advance,

Themistokles
ConiKost

Re: Montana 700 turning off when in USB mode and connected to Express

Unread post by ConiKost »

I don't have such issue. Works for me and Montana does not power off, when connected via USB to PC and GE.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

@Themistokles,

Please CLOSE and END Garmin Express process, then connect Montana in USB mode and tell us if the same crash occurs.

You must be absolutely certain Garmin Express is not running on your computer, not even in the background.
Themistokles

Unread post by Themistokles »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:53 pm Please CLOSE and END Garmin Express process, then connect Montana in USB mode and tell us if the same crash occurs.

You must be absolutely certain Garmin Express is not running on your computer, not even in the background.
I've done that a dozen of times.

However, I've identified the culprit in the meantime: It was the USB hub where the device was connected to. ALL other devices (mice, keyboards, cameras, USB HDDs and USB sticks and so on) work absolutely flawlessly with that hub, only the Montana 700 doesn't.

When I connected the Montana 700 directly to the PC, it suddenly worked as expected. I should probably delete this whole thread now, because my first post describes an issue which is not due to the device. But I'll leave it here in case somebody else gets into the same trouble.

Thank you very much, and best regards,

Themistokles
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Ah, yes, a gentle reminder to all that sometimes you just have to bypass the USB-Hub and connect direct!

Return to “Montana 7x0”