Map/screen refresh lagging

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
Sidewayz_Control

Map/screen refresh lagging

Unread post by Sidewayz_Control »

I have opened a ticket with Garmin but has anyone else had issue with the map or screen refresh lagging when traveling at speeds above 50-60Kph? Blanks fully or partially with only background colors, then some map details then the complete map. Repeat 10-20 seconds later. Like an old computer with the graphics card struggling to display an HD video.

I have the 700i, I've noticed this using City Navigator or Topoactive. Separate profiles and only the applicable map is active (no overlay of multiple maps), GPS powered on the Garmin rugged mount, map speed at fast or normal makes no difference. GPS mounted on a motorbike so it has no obstruction to the open sky.

This would happen sometime on my old Montana 600 but only when zoomed into a very high detail map. otherwise it was flawless. The 700 right now is horrible.

Video of the issue:

GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Map/screen refresh lagging

Unread post by GPSrChive »

:lol: :D "When in doubt, flat out!" :D :lol:

Firmware version?
Sidewayz_Control

Firmware version 8.20
GPS SW version 2.80
Display SW version 85.07
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you!

Reported directly to Garmin software engineers.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

I also noticed this today on some "German Bundestraße". Map just freezed for 5-10 seconds and then suddenly continued refreshing. Firmware 8.20.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Jim Beam

Unread post by Jim Beam »

Same problem here. I tested it on a KTM Enduro R and a Honda CB650R, but with both bikes the same problem.
The map disappeared for a second and than came up again. The same as in the video above. I noticed that flashing came up above 5000rpm.
Sometimes only a white screen for a 1-2 seconds.

Firmware 8.40 and it doesnt matter if the map directly is on the Montana or micro-SD. No external powersupply.
Tried different maps but same problem.
Sidewayz_Control

Garmin have reported back and are apparently doing tests on their end and asking if I could do some more.

Product.Support@garmin.com
May 19, 2021, 6:15 PM (5 days ago)
to me

Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your patience while we investigate your case! We are still testing some Montana 700i's on our end and we had a few questions. We know this would not be safe to try on the bike, but if you were use the device without the mount (in the car perhaps) does the screen still refresh rapidly like it does on your bike? They are wanting to see if maybe it is a connection issue with the mount. They also wanted to know if this was on all the screens and just not the map?

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
I will be isolating the contacts on the GPS and mount and running it off battery to do more test as requested by Garmin. I will post update once done.

I have also reported to Garmin that 2 other members of our groupe also have the 700i and noticed the same issue.

Ivan
Jim Beam

I tested it in a car (without bracked) and the screen was normal. On my motorcycle is use a Rammount without cable, so the problem cannot be the connection.
(Montana 700)
Last edited by Jim Beam on Mon May 24, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

It seems to look like some sort of frequency / vibration issue.
Here: https://www.naviboard.de/thread/66137-k ... post531877 a user says, that this issue happens by about 5000 rpm on his bike, even without any external power.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Jim Beam

This evening i did a small test. First in the Rammount bracket without external power, the screen was flashing at 5000rpm. After that i used it as a handheld :mrgreen: and nothing happened, so no flashing. It was only a small test, but it seems to be the problem is the vibration/bracked so far.

In a few days when the rain is gone :D i will test it again. I will also test it with another motorcycle.
Last edited by Jim Beam on Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Montana 7x0”