Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
LostAgain

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by LostAgain »

Yes I find that interesting the suggestion to roll back the firmware, I also find it annoying they couldn't be bothered with some sort of instructions so I didn't mess it up or whatever, though I can't really say I'm surprised about that.
I guess they might want to see if that cures the no start without removing battery issue as in my report I mentioned it hadn't occurred before the 8.20 update.
I still haven't seen that again since I wiped the battery contacts, somebody might've put their chicken licken fingers on those contacts before I got it or something, who knows.
If it goes ok for the next couple of nights I'll report that as no longer an issue.
The freezing issue has happened since day 1, and from memory the firmware version was 4. something when I first got it, so I doubt rolling back will fix that issue.

I ended up doing a factory/master reset not long after my last post, that business with the track not showing & the freezup on the trouble finding satellites message just isn't right so decided to start from scratch to see what happens.
I did the reset where you hold the power button until it stays a solid red then double tap it until it shows green, not the one in Setup > Reset which isn't a full reset.
This time once it finished that process instead of selecting a profile and messing with that I left all of them at default and created a new one, making any desired changes to the new profile only.
I copied my waypoint & track files to the GPX folder and all are visible and working as expected.

I did notice a couple of settings even though they were already set a certain way, had to be set again before they held, one was Setup > Display > Appearance > Mode, it was already set to Auto and it's after 3:00 am here, going outside to get a satellite lock the display stayed on day mode until I changed it to night, then back to auto again, then it worked correctly and stayed in night mode.
I did change the timezone to local (Queensland) time before going outside & I thought that would have triggered it to switch to night mode but it didn't.

The other was Setup > Heading > Compass, it was already set to off, but when I turned around standing still it rotated the map screen as if the compass setting was on auto, I turned it to auto then off again and that behaviour stopped, the map only rotating around with direction change when I was moving, it stayed still when I turned around while stopped.

Just a thought, I see in the Profiles folder on the device the .gpf files have what appear to be the settings for each item in an individual profile, perhaps including the one in use when reporting to Garmin would help them confirm an issue as they could use that info to set their test devices the same?
LostAgain

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Took the 700 out and tested it last night for the first time since the factory reset, freezing of screen rotation like in the video still happens :(
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are hoping you can test again after the NEXT firmware update and a master reset :D
LostAgain

Another reply from Garmin support today, seems one may need some other type of support after dealing with Garmin's support :roll:

Hi ****** ,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Australasia,

Please reply to this email with the below details. Please note that you cannot revert the software back to a previous version.

Sending a Garmin Folder from a Device to Product Support
Sending App Logs to Garmin Product Support - Garmin Express log code: *****
How often does the issue occur in relation to the device not powering on unless your remove & reinsert the batteries?

If you have any further questions at all then please feel free to contact us on 1800 235 822 EST (Australia), 0800 427 652 (New Zealand) 8:30am-5pm (Mon-Fri).

Please note that in keeping with current guidelines on social distancing, Garmin Australasia Pty Ltd will no longer be able to receive customer visits directly onto Garmin premises. In complying with these directions Garmin Australasia Pty Ltd does not support any contradiction of Covid-19 Government directions, please utilise our existing return processes as outlined on our website for returning product or call Garmin Product Support on 1800 235 822 or 0800 427 652 NZ for assistance. Your co-operation during this challenging time is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Product Support Consultant

Garmin Australasia

Phone: AU 1800 235 822 NZ 0800 427 652

The sending of the Express logs' description seems easy enough to follow, I'll do that shortly.
When I look at their link with regards to sending the Garmin folder, the 'Outdoor Handhelds' link starts with "1. Connect your watch to the computer" :shock:
The instructions under 'Edge Cycling Computers and Marine Devices' seems about right except for one little issue, even after following all their instructions about what to remove I'm still left with a filesize of 1.0 GB, they state a maximum of 25 MB per .zip file when emailing product support.
I'm thinking perhaps I might split the 1.0 GB .zip file into 25 MB increments and send them all as a sign of my appreciation of the great support service I've received so far :|
Last edited by LostAgain on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostAgain

My reply back to Garmin support...
Hello ******,

If I cannot revert the software back to a previous version, why did Garmin support suggest I do so?
The software version is clearly stated in my initial email as being 8.20.

The Garmin Express logs have been sent.

With regards to your link about sending the Garmin folder to product support, after following all the instructions about what to remove from the Garmin folder, I'm still left with a compressed .zip file that is 830.4 MB.

How can I send an 830.4 MB file when the Garmin website clearly states the maximum file size when emailing Garmin support is 25 MB?

With regards to the not starting/having to remove battery issue, it was happening about every 3rd or 4th startup when the device was not in a powered mount.
I believe I have solved that issue by wiping the battery contacts and the contacts inside the device with a clean, dry lint free cloth used for cleaning glasses.
Since doing that the issue has not occurred in about 20 no powered mount startups.
Opening it to clean the contacts was the first time I had opened the device since purchasing it.

The map rotation freezing issue, and poor quality of the display in night mode are still present.

Thanks

It appears that problem post has vanished again too, currently it's only visible when I click Post Reply.
EDIT: the post after that where I mentioned testing after the factory reset is also not showing, but the reply about me testing again after the next firmware update is visible.
Last edited by LostAgain on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We currently see all posts properly listed.
LostAgain

Yes I see them too at present.
I think what's triggering it is something to do with the moderation queue or whatever it's called.
When I make a new post, the post/s in question are not shown when I get redirected back to the thread after the message about moderator approval.
Once my post is approved, the next time I view the thread the post/s are visible again :?

EDIT: just happened again, I could see all the posts until I submitted this one, then the redirect took me to the first post in the thread, scrolling through the thread again I don't see them.
Last edited by LostAgain on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Very strange, not sure what is happening, but after two more posts you will no longer need moderator authorization.
LostAgain

Seems the battery issue is not fixed, just happened again.

Mentioned it to Garmin Support:
Hello,

It appears the issue with having to remove the battery to get the 700 to start when it's not in a powered mount is not solved as I thought it was.
I just went to turn it on and nothing would happen until I removed the battery and put it back again.
Once that was done it started correctly.

Before I removed the battery I tried holding the power button for over 30 seconds, nothing.

Thanks
LostAgain

Another reply from Garmin today, this time asking for my proof of purchase of the 700, which I gave them.
They don't seem to like answering questions do they... :|

Return to “Montana 7x0”