Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by ConiKost »

I think, that I have somehow this issue too, but in a different way. I noticed this on specific driving on or exit from some freeway routes, when driving normal, not slow. Sometimes, it happens, that the map freezes, as shown on this video here. Rarly also got this issue with my old 276Cx.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
LostAgain

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by LostAgain »

ConiKost, do you use yours with the basemap enabled or disabled?
I've always been of the opinion that having maps/extras enabled when not needed is a waste of memory, so I usually disable any map I don't wish to use, like the basemap for example...however, it would appear Garmin has a different opinion on this...

Received an email reply from Garmin today:
Hi ******,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Australasia,

A slowly drawing map or freezing of the device can be a result of the Basemap being disabled.

If the map is not being displayed properly, ensure the Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR is enabled with the steps below.
Enabling the Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR

Select Setup from the Main Menu
Select Map
Select Map Information Select Map or Configure Maps
Select Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR
Select Enable

Once the Basemap has been enabled, the map will display as expected.

Should you require further assistance in regards to the matter, it would be appreciated if you could contact our Customer Service Team by telephone between 8:30am-5pm (Mon-Fri) EST, for further assistance:

• 1800 235 822 (Australia)
• 0800 427 652 (New Zealand)

Kind Regards
Product Support Consultant
Garmin AU
Phone: AU 1800 235 822 NZ 0800427 652

So I went and tested it once again, following their advice.
Here's what happened...

This replacement 700 is actually worse than before with the basemap enabled :x

Montana 7x0 v820 Bug 54 Replacement Unit Freezing Base Map Enabled [640x360].mp4

EDIT: As usual, the 610 works perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Yes, I have the base map enabled. But IMHO, it shoudn't matter, as it's used only in higher zoom levels.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I agree, the Base Map should always be enabled, and I also do not think this is related to the issue you are experiencing.

Many other users have tried to repeat the behavior without success, but most (if not all) of them have the device mounted in a Garmin Cradle.

I suspect something about how the device is configured or how/where it is being used is contributing to what you are seeing.

Can you stop your vehicle, get out with the Montana in hand, and repeat the same movements on foot while holding the Montana in a stationary position in front of you?

Does the same behavior occur outside and away from the vehicle?

Also, test again in vehicle with Setup > Heading > Compass = Off.

Results?
LostAgain

The video in my initial post was taken while it was in the Garmin cradle.
As I've stopped using it again in favour of the 610's better accuracy I've swapped out the cradles, which is why the last couple of videos it's just been sitting on the dash running from battery, PITA to change them in a fixed mounting situation.
I will use the cradle again next testing.
I will try with it out of the vehicle as you suggest, and will try back in the vehicle with the Compass set to off.
I'll also try a different vehicle today in case it's something in the Land Cruiser it doesn't like.
I've also had a suggestion to calibrate the compass so I will do that before I start any testing.

In all the years I've been using Garmin devices, starting with the old yellow GPS 60 when they were the latest thing, I've never had the basemap enabled, never had any issues that I know of from not having it enabled.
LostAgain

I did some more testing yesterday, unfortunately the results haven't changed, it still freezes the map display.
This time I also noticed for the first time part of the map blanking out on a direction change, I think some other users are seeing similar to that?

This time I used a different vehicle for the testing to eliminate the possibility of something in the original vehicle interfering with the 700, and I calibrated the compass before starting any testing.
Can you stop your vehicle, get out with the Montana in hand, and repeat the same movements on foot while holding the Montana in a stationary position in front of you?
Yes, the same freezing happens.
At the end of the clip I turned to show how far I walked from the car before it woke up and started working correctly again.

Montana 7x0 v820 Bug 54 Replacement Unit Freezing Outside Vehicle [640x360].mp4

Does the same behavior occur outside and away from the vehicle?
Yes.
Also, test again in vehicle with Setup > Heading > Compass = Off.

Results?
Same deal, still freezes, in this video I changed some of the settings, one of which was turning the compass off, I tried using the default maps etc..
This one also shows the map partially blanking out upon direction changes, something that I've not noticed until yesterday's testing, don't remember seeing it with the original 700 either.

Montana 7x0 v820 Bug 54 Replacement Unit Freezing and Blanking [640x360].mp4

The difference in screen behaviour between the compass being turned on or off in the clip below.
With it on the map shows constant partial rotation when stationary, turn it off and the rotation stops.
The only difference with regards to the freezing issue appears to be (sometimes) the speed at which it starts rotating as it should while frozen, tipically about 7 kph, sometimes needs to be increased up to about 9 kph before it sorts itself out and starts showing the correct direction on the map, or the rotations will dance around from side to side while moving forward in a straight line when it should be pointing straight ahead to reflect the direction of travel, once enough speed is reached, everything seems to work as expected.

Montana 7x0 v820 Bug 54 Replacement Unit Freezing Compass On or Off [640x360].mp4

Screencaps from the video of the map partially blanked out upon a direction change:

Montana 7x0 Bug 54 Map-Blanking A.jpg
Montana 7x0 Bug 54 Map-Blanking B.jpg

Device Settings:

Code: Select all

Montana 700 settings:

Setup > System > Satellite:
Satellite System =GPS + Glonass
WAAS/EGNOS = Off

Setup > System > Language:
Text Language = English
Voice Language = Australian English-Karen

Setup > System > Power Key:
Single Tap = Status Page
Double Tap = Screen Capture

Setup > System > Advanced Setup:
External Power Off = Prompted
External Power On = Turn On
Interface = Garmin Spanner

Setup > System > RINEX Logging = Off
========================================================================
Setup > Display:
Backlight Timeout = Stays On
Orientation Lock = Auto
Auto Lock Screen = Off
Battery Save = Off
Setup > Display > Appearance:
Mode = Auto
Day Colour = Blue
Night Colour = Blue
Landscape Controls = Right
Setup > Bluetooth = Off
Setup > Wi-Fi = Off
Setup > Map:
Configure Maps > Automatic Maps = Off, Worldwide DEM Basemap,NR = On
Orientation = Track Up
Dashboard = Corner Data Fields:
D/F Top Left = Time of Day
D/F Top Right = Speed
D/F Bottom Left = Trip Odometer
D/F Bottom Right = GPS Elevation
Data Fields Locked
Guidance Text = When Navigating
Setup > Map > Advance Setup:
Auto Zoom = Off
Detail = Most  --  tried all the variations of this setting, no difference
Shaded Relief = Do Not Show
Vehicle = Arrow-Red-Tip  --  switch to default arrow = no difference
Zoom Levels = All set to Auto
Text Size = All set to Large
Map Speed = Fast  --  tried the 3 options = no difference
Setup > Recording:
Record Method = Time
Interval = 00:00:05
Auto Pause = Off
Auto Start = On
Activity Type = Driving
Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup:
Output Format = FIT and GPX
Auto Save = When Full
Trip Recording = Always
Data Reset = Prompted
Setup > Routing:
Direct Routing = No
Activity = Hiking
Calculation Method = Minimise Distance
Lock On Road = No
Popularity Routing = Off
Off Route Recalculation = Automatic
Avoidance Setup = Unpaved Roads-unchecked, Ferries-checked, Narrow Trails-unchecked
Setup > Expedition Mode = Never
Setup > Waypoints:
Prefix Enabled = No
Suffix = 0001
Setup > Tones:
Tones = On
Tones Output = Auto
Message Beep = Tone 7
Setup > Tone > Turn Warnings:
Early Turn Warning = Tone 9
Final Turn Warning = Tone 10
Setup > Tone > Proximity Alarms:
Proximity Tones = On
Proximity Alarm = Tone 8
Approaching Alarm = Tone 8
Leaving Alarm = Tone 5
Upcoming Speed Alarm = Tone 5
Setup > Heading:
Display = Numeric Degrees
North Reference = True
Go to Line (Pointer) = Bearing (Small)
Compass = Off
Setup > Altimeter:
Altimeter = On
Auto Calibration = Once
Barometer Mode = Variable Elevation
Pressure Trending = Save When Power On
Plot Type = Elevation / Distance
Setup > Geocaching:
I've never registered the device
Geochache Style = Show Names
Chirp Setup = Chirp Searching = Off
I've never entered Filter Setup
Found Geocaches = 0
Geocache Proximity Alarm = Off
Setup > Sensors:
Everything in there is Off
Setup > Fitness:
All at Default, not touched by me
Setup > Marine:
Marine Chart Mode = Off
Setup > Marine > Appearance:
Spot Soundings = On
Light Sectors = Auto
Symbol Set = NOAA
Safety Shading = Auto
Setup > Marine > Marine Alarm Setup = All Off
Setup > Menus:
Menu Style = Grid
Setup > Menus > Main Menu = All at Default
Setup > Menus > Favourites:
Map
Trip Computer
Mark Waypoint
Sun and Moon
Recording Controls
Setup > Menus > Setup = All at Default
Setup > Menus > Find = All at Default
Setup > Position Format:
Position Format = hddd°mm.mmmm'
Map Datum = WGS 84
Map Spheroid = WGS 84
Setup > Units:
Speed/Distance = Metric
Vertical Speed = Metres (m/min)
Elevation = Elevation and Depth both = Metres
Temperature = Celsius
Pressure = Millibars
Setup > Time:
Time Format = 12 Hour
Time Zone = Automatic
Setup > Accessibility:
Touch Sensitivity = Normal
Review Text Size = Big
Scroll Controls = Off
Setup > Profiles:
I've changed nothing there, the order top to bottom is:
Hike
Recreational
Driving
Tour Cycle
Mountain Bike
Hunt
Fish
Climb
Geocache
Set Mount Profiles = All at No Change
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The video with the Compass 'Off' is very short, but once it was 'Off' the map no longer rotated erratically. Do you concur?

At this point, my only suggestion is to return the device to 'As-New' condition.

Remove the microSD card, remove and backup any important files from the device memory, and perform a master reset, then retest with only the factory settings and maps - do not load any additional data. This will rule out all user data and maps as potential culprits.

How do I Master Reset my Montana 7x0?
  • Power the Montana 7x0 off.
  • Remove battery pack for >30 seconds and reinstall.
  • Press and hold the Power button until the Status LED turns red.
  • Release the Power button.
  • The Montana 7x0 is now in 'Boot Block' mode, which last about 8 seconds.
  • Quickly press and release the Power button twice.
  • The Status LED will turn green, and the device will begin the boot process.
  • A "Restoring settings and activities to defaults." message will be displayed.
  • The Montana 7x0 is now clearing all data and restoring all settings to factory defaults.
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:31 pm The video with the Compass 'Off' is very short, but once it was 'Off' the map no longer rotated erratically. Do you concur?
Yes I concur.

Pretty sure I discovered with the original 700 it was something to do with having the compass set to Auto when in the powered mount that caused the erratic rotation like shown.
When last testing I calibrated the compass before starting and that possibly triggered that setting, turning it to Auto again.
I think I remember putting it in the mount after a full reset, once put in the mount that setting changes to Off by design, but it wasn't until I manually switched it to Auto then back to Off that the behaviour ceased.
Will test that also after the full reset, thought I posted about that here but it seems I didn't, posted it in the AdvRider thread.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Would be curious what affect changing Setup > Recording > Auto Pause = On has on the observed behavior.
LostAgain

Next time I do some testing I'll hopefully remember to try that setting.
I don't have it on because I noticed on the 610 it kills the accuracy of the trip details, I like seeing the details of each trip, time total, time stopped, time moving etc. etc., I was thinking it was for pausing track recording only but apparently that's not the case as it messes all the times etc. up as well.
That and the annoying message that came up on the screen every time I stopped, I haven't used it on the 700 at all yet.

Here's today's effort in the video below, full reset done before starting the testing.
The vertical lines seen in the thumbnail and parts of the video are just a camera artifact from pointing towards the sun.

I mention a couple of times in the video about the compass setting (Setup > Heading > Compass) thinking it is a bug, but in hindsight I think it might be that way by design, just my misunderstanding of how the setting is designed to work.
The compass is set to Auto by default, when using in a powered mount with it set to Auto it causes the erratic rotation shown in an earlier video.
When placing the 700 in a powered mount it actually turns that setting's function to off by itself, programmed to do so, but still shows Auto for the setting just with the slider greyed out like it's in the Off position.
When the 700 is removed from the mount the compass then returns to the Auto action & the slider shows green again as it's on.
With manually turning the Auto setting to Off, it stays Off all the time regardless of whether it's an a powered mount or not.
If it's Off, and I place it in the powered mount the setting can be changed to Auto while it's in the mount, and that causes the erratic rotation behaviour, I guess Garmin noticed this and set it to disable the Auto compass when a powered mount was detected.

I just realised the full reset didn't remove the custom maps I had on it either, but it did remove all tracks and waypoints I had on there.
It came without an SD card so I've just been putting the extra maps (ShonkyMaps and OpenMapChest) in the Garmin folder on the device itself and they worked ok.
Checking the Configure Maps settings just a minute ago I see they were still there and everything is set to On except for the very bottom entry which is the OpenMapChest map.
Not sure if that'll make any difference to the freezing issue or not, doubtful, but I guess I should test the damn thing again with the extra maps removed.
The map displayed on the map screen after the reset is the TopoActive AUS/NZ 2021.10 which is the default.

I didn't notice any of the map blanking as shown previously during any of the testing today, nor when going through the video to check it.
I did see while travelling home the battery icon was red again, overheating or whatever it means, not sure why as the windows were down in the car the whole time and the outside air temp was only about 14 or 15 degrees C.

Return to “Montana 7x0”