Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by ConiKost »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 pm
LostAgain wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 am
Garmin replied to yesterday's email:
Garmin wrote: Our engineering team have advised that there is a new software update available for the Montana 750i. They have requested for you to install the latest software on your 750i & test the device.

If the issue continues, please reply to this email to advise.
No new firmware available here....

Maybe soon?
Garmin also said this yesterday to me, but they meant firmware 8.50..
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
LostAgain

Re: Montana 700 Map Screen Redraw Issue [Bug 54], Startup Issue, and Small Request

Unread post by LostAgain »

Email I just sent to Garmin:

I updated the software on my 700 to version 8.5.
I used it for work as a test over the last 2 nights and still see the same map freezing issue.
I did not have the opportunity to video this same freezing behaviour occurring after updating the software but will do so at the earliest opportunity.

Unfortunately it still occurs to the extent I had to stop using the 700 in favour of my 610 so I could get accurate representation of my direction of travel with regards to map rotation etc. that I require for my job.
Several times I noticed the freezing occur before I came to a complete stop, travelling along at a constant speed of around 10-12 kph, then slowing to make a low speed turn the map display froze once the speed got down to around 3 or 4 kph, when this happens it is the same freezing issue as shown in my previous test videos.
As in the previous videos continuing along at low speeds it remains frozen, sometimes for a hundred metres or more until a speed of around 7 kph is reached, then it works fine at speeds down to 1 or 2 kph, as it should.

Guidance Text issue:
Another problem I noticed is with regards to the guidance text, when using the 700 onroad and not navigating it will display the name of the road/street being travelled, and continues to display this even when stopped on that road/street.
When offroad it will give the direction heading once a certain speed is reached, however, that speed needs to be around 11 kph, and for a device designed to be handheld and for walking around, this essentially makes the guidance text function when offroad useless as a person cannot walk at the speed required for the function to work correctly.
When using offroad and travelling slower than the speed required to make the guidance text function, it remains displaying "Ready to Navigate" regardless of speed or direction.
This issue affects the guidance text regardless of which Dashboard is used and it also affects the "Automotive" dashboard's Nuvi style guidance text in the green strip at the top.

The 600 series also suffers from this same guidance text issue, the speed required for it to be useful when not navigating offroad is too fast for someone to walk.
I'm not sure about the 276CX as I haven't had time to test the guidance text on that device as yet.

I have not had the opportunity to video this guidance text issue, but as with the map freezing after updating the software I will do so at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks

I remember seeing the guidance text issue with the 610 years ago, seems the 700 series has inherited that also.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ConiKost wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:01 am
gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 pm
No new firmware available here....

Maybe soon?
Garmin also said this yesterday to me, but they meant firmware 8.50.
Or did they?

I think they may be aware of a pending release that attempts to resolve some of these issues.

Hold that thought....
LostAgain

Received the following earlier today:
Our engineering team have advised that an upcoming software update should resolve the issue that you are experiencing.

This is due to be released late July, however this date may change.

If you experience any issues after installing the latest update once released, please reply to this email to advise.
Here's hoping...:mrgreen:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

LostAgain wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 am Received the following earlier today:
Our engineering team have advised that an upcoming software update should resolve the issue that you are experiencing.

This is due to be released late July, however this date may change.

If you experience any issues after installing the latest update once released, please reply to this email to advise.
Here's hoping...:mrgreen:
Guess the cat is out of the bag!

The next firmware update will address this, and several other current issues.

We hope it is available soon!
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Thank you for the wonderful news!
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
LostAgain

Garmin giveth, Garmin taketh away :lol:
Our team has confirmed that the next update being released will not resolve the issue you are experiencing.

They have advised that this will be included in an update in late September.

We do apologies for any inconvenience caused.
At least a fix appears to be in the works, I guess that makes this the second best news I've received with regards to this issue so far :mrgreen:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

LostAgain wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:29 am Garmin giveth, Garmin taketh away :lol:
Our team has confirmed that the next update being released will not resolve the issue you are experiencing.

They have advised that this will be included in an update in late September.

We do apologies for any inconvenience caused.
At least a fix appears to be in the works, I guess that makes this the second best news I've received with regards to this issue so far :mrgreen:
Doh!

In all honesty, I was surprised you were able to get that much information out of them as Garmin is usually very tight lipped about upcoming updates. I guess 'knowing a fix is on the way' is better than nothing!
LostAgain

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:33 am Doh!

In all honesty, I was surprised you were able to get that much information out of them as Garmin is usually very tight lipped about upcoming updates. I guess 'knowing a fix is on the way' is better than nothing!
Yes usually everything is a secret.
They thanked me a couple of weeks ago for my patience, testing etc., I went and ordered a frame for that one :D
Hopefully the fix will come to fruition.
LostAgain

Another one today:
Our engineering team have advised that a fix for the Guidance Text issue you are experiencing is due to be released in a future software update.

Please note that we currently do not have an ETA for this particular software update.

I have a video of the guidance text issue occurring on the 610, 700 & 276CX side by side at the same time, it also shows the 276CX freezing the same as the 700 does, but haven't had time to upload & submit it to Garmin yet.
Seems Garmin agrees there's an issue on handheld devices if the guidance text starts working at speeds too fast for a person to walk at 8-)

Return to “Montana 7x0”