How is Total Ascent calculated?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
lukas12p

Re: How is Total Ascent calculated?

Unread post by lukas12p »

1. Device is counting elevation gain "live" and at the same time is writing GPX file with actual elevation.
2. Total elevation gain during/after trip calculated by device is much bigger than elevation gain calculated from elevation data in GPX.
3. Elevation gain is rising even if You go down the hill, adds about 1-3 meters every minute.

So it looks like:
4. Elevation data in GPX is correct, almost the same as real terrain
5. Elevation data in GPX is taking rounded elevation measurements taken only when writing data to file
6. Elevation gain counted by device is taking not rounded elevation measurements every second or even more often. So it can take into account all errors like +/- 10cm every second, but looks more like it only take errors with +
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

When you state "Elevation gain counted by device", are you referring to what is displayed on the Trip Computer Page?

What setting do you have configured on your Montana 7x0 in Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup > Trip Recording?
lukas12p

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:33 pm When you state "Elevation gain counted by device", are you referring to what is displayed on the Trip Computer Page?

What setting do you have configured on your Montana 7x0 in Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup > Trip Recording?
Yes
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please answer the second question.
lukas12p

Trip recording -> during activity
Activity type -> track me
GPSrChive
Site Admin

OK, so with Trip Recording = During Activity, you are seeing 'Elevation gain counted by device' in the Trip Computer Page does not agree with the recorded track log data (GPX)?
lukas12p

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:18 am OK, so with Trip Recording = During Activity, you are seeing 'Elevation gain counted by device' in the Trip Computer Page does not agree with the recorded track log data (GPX)?
Yes, trip recording is about 20-50% bigger than GPX and reality
GPSrChive
Site Admin

OK, and which specific data field are you referring to in the Trip Computer? (I just want to be sure I test exactly what you are looking at)
lukas12p

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 pm OK, and which specific data field are you referring to in the Trip Computer? (I just want to be sure I test exactly what you are looking at)
Total Ascent

Return to “Montana 7x0”