BaseCamp communication error if CN or TopoActive on sd card

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

BaseCamp communication error if CN or TopoActive on sd card

Unread post by ConiKost »

If I install City Navigator 2021.20 or TopoActive 2021.10 on sd card in Montana 750i, this will lead to communication problems with BaseCamp. Right upon start, BaseCamp will complain, that a communication error happend, some functions could not work and support should be contacted. This error also leads to the problem, that several functions are not working probably anymore. For example, if you enabled to strip all shaping points during transfer from BaseCamp to GPSr, it won't function anymore and despite of the setting, routes with all shaping points are still transfered.

This communication failure happens, if CN or TopoActive is installed on sd card. The Montana itself seems to work prefectly fine, if CN or TopoActive is on sd card installed and can use those maps without any problems.

I tried multiple several different sd cards, but the problem persists. If I remove them from sd cards, all errors are gone and no communication error is reported by BaseCamp. Striping of shaping points during transfer to GPSr also works again.

Note: Garmin Express has a bug and is unable to install on sd card, as it will always (even if sd cards selected) install to internal storage. So I have manually copied those files to sd card.

Can anyone reproduce?
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
ConiKost

Re: BaseCamp communication error if CN or TopoActive on sd card

Okay, my previous assumption is wrong. After hours of testing, I nailed it down.

This issue has nothing todo with internal storage, City Navigator or SD card.
It all boils down to 'TopoActive 2021.10 North East'. If this map part from TopoActive is installed, it does not matter, if internal storage or sd card, BaseCamp will complain with a communication error.

So the 'North East' part of TopoActive map seems to be faulty.
ConiKost

Re: BaseCamp communication error if CN or TopoActive on sd card

Updated version of TopoActive 2021.10 has been released, which fixed install issues and BaseCamp communication issues. If you already have TopoActive 2021.10 installed, you need to reinstall, as it's not shown as an update in Garmin Express.

Return to “Montana 7x0”