Rino 75x Successor? (Prediction)

Discussion related to the Garmin Rino 7xx series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Rino 75x Successor? (Prediction)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

GPSrChive Garmin Rino Prediction 2020

First and foremost; I do not have any knowledge of a new Garmin Rino being under development, nor do I know if a new Rino model is even scheduled for development. Having said that....

While the Rino series has always been very unique in appearance and capability, each Rino model to date has been built around a pre-existing series by adding a FRS/GMRS radio with all necessary hardware, most notably the addition of a second antenna for the FRS/GMRS radio.

The Original Rino 1x0 series were based on the eTrex Venture (Rino 110, 120) and eTrex Vista (Rino 130) models. The second generation Rino 5x0 series were built around the eTrex Vista C (Rino 520, 530) and eTrex Vista HCx (Rino 520HCx, 530HCx). A third generation Rino 6xx series would follow, based on the Dakota series. And we currently have two fourth generation Rino 7x0 series models available, the 700 (built around an eTrex 10) and the 750/755t (an Oregon 7x0 in sheeps clothing).

The currently available 7x0 series are easily the most advanced Rino radio ever offered. The Flagship 75x models (based around the Oregon 7x0) continue to function very well and maintain a modern appearance, not looking the least bit out of place in Garmins current model lineup. And with no known successor to the Oregon 7x0 (does it need one?), it would be hard to imagine a new Rino was in the cards any time soon...

But then I discovered the new to market Alpha 200i series Dog Tracking GPSr.

Alpha 200 Series
Garmin Alpha 200i 07.png
Garmin Alpha 200i 04.png

I couldn't help but immediately see a chassis that clearly wants to be the next generation Rino GPSr. Or should be. The more I examine the Alpha 200i series features and functions, the more I suspect it was engineered from the start with the 5th generation Rino in mind.

And what an excellent successor to the Rino 75x series it could be.

With a modestly larger display (3.5" vs 3.0") packing 40% more pixels (132K vs 96K), twice the memory (16GB vs 8GB), pre-loaded TopoActive mapping, and available inReach capabilities, all housed in a rugged industrial chassis, what wouldn't there be to love about it?

Can you imagine Multi-GNSS + FRS/GMRS + BirdsEye Direct + Active Weather + inReach all in one device?

I sure can, and I want to pre-order one right now.

But, alas, it does not yet exist.

Rino 800
Rino 8x0.png

Or does it?

We will have to wait and see.....

And then, one could easily imagine Garmin removing the Radio to create the next generation Oregon.

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rino 7xx”