66i does not follow roads/trails in automobile/motorcycle mode

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
jsawyer

66i does not follow roads/trails in automobile/motorcycle mode

Unread post by jsawyer »

I noticed that when I have the Routing Activity set to Automobile Driving or Motorcycle Driving, all routing is Direct; that is, just a straight line from point to point. I asked Garmin about this, and they confirmed this is by intent:
Unfortunately this is how the device is set up to work because the TopoActive mapping is based on OSM (Open Street Mapping) that has not been verified safe for Automotive Driving. The problem is with the type of mapping it comes with. You can always load another type of mapping that is certified safe such as City Navigator.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=S ... PRe0WgzrW7

Changing the Activity type to Hiking, Cycling, or just about anything else allows routing to follow roads and trails on the built-in maps that come with the 66i.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 66i does not follow roads/trails in automobile/motorcycle mode

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What an interesting observation that is! Probably all due to lawyers and litigious consumers.

Have you yet loaded a routable OSM map directly, disabled the TopoActive that was pre-installed, and tested for automobile routing?

See the GPSrChive >inReach > GPSMAP 66i > Maps page for links to multiple options.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”