Route Waypoint Limit

Discussion related to GPSrChive 'How To...' pages
Iamnotanumber

Route Waypoint Limit

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

I have a purchased a Garmin Map 66s to replace my ageing 62s . In the past i have navigated just by following tracks on my screen created beforehand on Basecamp or via a 3rd party software such as Anquet or OS Mapping.I have always found navigating via turn by turn routing less than satisfactory. However I thought I would try again with the new unit. The problem i encounter is the 50 max limit on waypoints per route. I believe its possible to include more waypoints than this on a route but i can't seem to find the right settings. Whenever I try I get message 'only 50 points can be used for On Road Navigation'

I don't fully understand what is meant by On Road Navigation. I have set the profile up for hiking and in Set Up made sure the 'Lock On Road' option is switched off. What am i missing?

Any help much appreciated
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Route Waypoint Limit

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Most modern Garmin GPSr will allow up to 250 individual routing points for a single route, however these routes can only be followed using 'Direct Routing' activity method. This provides the user with a series of straight lines connecting each set of points 'directly', and does not follow roads or trails, etc.

If the user wishes to be provided turn by turn navigation following roads and trails etc., the route can have no more than 50 individual routing points, and the GPSr must have routable maps installed and enabled on the device.

For may, 50 points for a guided route seems like a very small number, but really, it is not. Most routes can be created with far fewer.

When creating a route, start with the first and last point (beginning and end), add any specific points you want to be sure to visit in between, then add any additional points as required to help shape the route along the path between those points as desired. Depending on the length of the route (a few miles, or several hundred miles), you should be able to achieve a route that follows the desired path without needing all 50 routing points. This may be easier to do in BaseCamp instead of directly on the GPSr, but with a little practice, it is not too difficult.

"On Road Navigation" is an old carry over phrase from when Garmin first introduced the ability for their products to provide the user with guided turn by turn navigation which was strictly on road only, as the maps of the time had very little detail (compared to today) and the devices had very limited memory (which was very expensive).

Today's Garmin GPSr can provide turn by turn navigation using the supplied map data with routing options specified by the user on the device to find the quickest route, shortest route, least elevation gain route, all while avoiding things like ferries, u-turns, carpool lanes, etc. etc...

Return to “How To...”