Custom Waypoint Symbol Transparency Issue

Discussion related to GPSrChive 'How To...' pages
nahannidog

Re: Custom Waypoint Symbol Transparency Issue

Unread post by nahannidog »

GPSrChive wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:18 pm Yes, it appears BaseCamp can use PNG also, but the GPSr will require the BMP with Magenta.
I see, so little value to have no magenta icons, since GPSr definitely requires magenta background for transparent background.
GPSrChive wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:18 pm Just finished a quick test to compare how some of my Garmin GPSr listed custom waypoint symbols with the exact same symbols loaded to each device. The four models I just tested all displayed them in different orders. Montana 750i and Montana 700 both displayed them randomly when compared to each other, there was no visible pattern. And when comparing a GPSMAP 66i vs GPSMAP 66sr, same thing, no discernable pattern to their display sequence, and nowhere near close to the same, even with the exact same symbols loaded.
OK, thanks for checking! Seems I was lucky to have them in almost numerical order. :D

If I may, a last? question on custom Waypoint symbols: The repository you maintain at https://www.gpsrchive.com/Shared/garmin ... itory.html includes National Park Service icons at 24x24pixels. Alot of those are appropriate for how I work/think. Any idea where I could get the symbols in higher resolution? The 24x24 get pretty jagged when up-sampled to 32x32. Thanks!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It has been a while since I created all of those, and in retrospect, I may have made it harder than I needed to. Wouldn't be the first time.

Here's how I made them:

1. Find and download an NPS Map Symbol PDF directly from the National Park Service Website.

2. Create multiple screen captures while viewing the PDF at '500%' magnification.

3. Carefully copy each desired symbol from those screen captures, being careful to keep each copy centered and identical in size.

4. Resize all saved images to desired size and save as PNG.

5. Create and apply a rounded transparent (magenta) corner mask to each image, and save as BMP.

This method is very time consuming, but you get to have exactly the waypoint symbols you want, just the way you want them.

Viewing the PDF from Step 1 at '225%' magnification in step 2, I was able to create these samples without any resizing:

ATV 32x.png
ATV 32x.bmp

If you search a little harder, you may find someone else has done most of the work for you already.

Should you go to the trouble of creating a full set of 32x icons, please share the PNG and BMP versions of each with us so we can add them to the GPSrChive Custom Symbol Repository.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nahannidog

Unread post by nahannidog »

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:49 am It has been a while since I created all of those, and in retrospect, I may have made it harder than I needed to. Wouldn't be the first time.
Here's how I made them:
1. Find and download an NPS Map Symbol PDF directly from the National Park Service Website.

This method is very time consuming, but you get to have exactly the waypoint symbols you want, just the way you want them.
That's a huge amount of work you've done. Thanks!

I noticed/learned something about those symbols in the NPS pdf file you linked. Seems you can zoom in infinitely, and they never get pixelated . I'm thinking these symbols are pure geometry, i.e. lines and arcs. I believe that's what acrobat calls "objects". Analogous to the acrobat fonts never getting pixelated, I think. Nice to know if want symbols in real high resolution, for some reason.
GPSrChive wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:49 am If you search a little harder, you may find someone else has done most of the work for you already.
Hey, that's a find. These are 48x, and can be downsampled to 32X. But there is no magenta transparency.
GPSrChive wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:49 am Should you go to the trouble of creating a full set of 32x icons, please share the PNG and BMP versions of each with us so we can add them to the GPSrChive Custom Symbol Repository.
I don't think I'll ever get the whole assortment of NPS icons converted to 32x. I've gotten deep into the weeds trying to add a little color and removing the opaque background. Not sure I like that arrangement yet. Here's a few samples...wondering if black icons w/o the white background will get obscured if viewing GPSr in night mode. What do you think??
Ranger Station-32x magenta.bmp
Climbing-32x-color.bmp
Cross-Country Skiing-32x-color.bmp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

nahannidog wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 am I noticed/learned something about those symbols in the NPS pdf file you linked. Seems you can zoom in infinitely, and they never get pixelated . I'm thinking these symbols are pure geometry, i.e. lines and arcs. I believe that's what acrobat calls "objects". Analogous to the acrobat fonts never getting pixelated, I think. Nice to know if want symbols in real high resolution, for some reason.
See SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics):
Wikipedia
nahannidog wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 am Hey, that's a find. These are 48x, and can be downsampled to 32X. But there is no magenta transparency.
You would have to manually add that, but it wouldn't take very long.

nahannidog wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 am I don't think I'll ever get the whole assortment of NPS icons converted to 32x.
That's too bad....

nahannidog wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 am I've gotten deep into the weeds trying to add a little color and removing the opaque background. Not sure I like that arrangement yet. Here's a few samples...wondering if black icons w/o the white background will get obscured if viewing GPSr in night mode. What do you think??
A. There is no accounting for taste. What one person likes, another may not, etc.
B. Only way to find out for certain is TESTING! I have made multiple refinements to my waypoints symbols over the years when I discover something I do not like about how they are rendered.

Return to “How To...”