Device shuts down when a route in a specific area of map is selected

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
pokyyy

Device shuts down when a route in a specific area of map is selected

Unread post by pokyyy »

I am not sure if my problem has already been discussed, I can't find it.

I draw a route on a specific part of the map. When I go to the route again, using "Find" or select the route again through the main menu, the device shuts down immediately without displaying the route or any warning. I have to restart the device. This is regardless of the how the route is drawn; using the device itself, Basecamp or if imported from the internet as GPX file. It does not depend on the number of waypoints either, it happens with 14 waypoints and 50 waypoints. Strangely, it happens in one particular part of the map (UK) but of course I have not tried it on every single part of the map. Some other part of the map are fine with even very complex routes.

6 months and no progress from Garmin support. They sent me a new device and exactly the same problem.

Any idea what is going on or what I should do?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Device shuts down when a route in a specific area of map is selected

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What model and firmware version?

Can you please send one or more of the routes (located in [GPSr]\Garmin\GPX\ directory) that cause this behavior to webmaster@gpsrchive.com ?

Also, please include the [GPSr]\Garmin\GarminDevice.xml file from your GPSr.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response. I have emailed the routes and file.

The problem is with Garmin GPSMAP 66i.

thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you. We are unable to duplicate a device freeze or shutdown when navigating these routes, so we need to find out what your routing settings are and exactly which maps you have enabled when this occurs. You can also email that info privately if you wish.

Please include the [GPSr]\Garmin\Profiles\ directory from your GPSr.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Thanks again.

The maps available on the device are Worldwide DEM Basecamp NR, TopoActive Europe 2020.10 North East, and TopoActive Europe 2020.10 South West. Whether one map or none is enabled, the device shuts down when selecting the route.

I have sent you the files.

This is becoming more and more strange, particularly that the same behaviour is occurring on a brand new device.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We are hopeful the next firmware update may resolve this issue as we are still unable to duplicate.

Please test again after installing the next firmware version (when available) and advise.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”