Feature request: turning off checking for inReach mail messages

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
MountainAir

Feature request: turning off checking for inReach mail messages

Unread post by MountainAir »

I've activated inReach for my GPSMAP 66i, but there's no way to turn off the checking of the inReach mailbox. I do not always use the inReach functionality of my 66i, and I do not always want the unit to check for mail. Now it already starts checking for mail immediately when I've powered up the GPSr. Often I'm inside and there will be no Iridium satellite signals available, and it just keeps on checking. It's unnecessary and only consumes battery power. When out in the field it checks for mail with I believe a 10 minute interval. There's no way for the user to change the interval or to turn the checking off completely. Also out in the outdoors I do not always need my mail to be checked. Again it often is unnecessary battery power consumption.

It would be nice to have a way in the setup to change the time of the interval of a mailbox check and to be able to turn off completely. Something like: 10min - 30min - 60min - Off.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: turning off checking for inReach mail messages

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What firmware was loaded to your GPSMAP 66i when you observed this behavior?

Have you updated since posting this observation and retested?
sky-eye

Re: Feature request: turning off checking for inReach mail messages

Unread post by sky-eye »

The check for messages is done only every hour. There is no mailcheck in smaller intervals.
Only when tracking is on and is sending tracking points let say every 10 min, the connection is also used to make the check.

Yes, earlier, with the original Delorme devices and byte paid account, it was possible to set also the mail check to what ever needed, but this is not possible with the 'lumpsum' paid accounts for obvious reasons.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”