Unexpected behaviour: Entering expedition mode always starts recording an activity

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
simonw500

Unexpected behaviour: Entering expedition mode always starts recording an activity

Unread post by simonw500 »

GPSMAP66i, f/w v8.10

My summary of Expedition Mode: keeps the bare bones of the until functioning (nav / track recording / InReach Tracking / InReach Messaging all if enabled, and SOS if needed) albeit making some compromises in each case (eg. reduced recording, transmitting and message checking frequency) in order to achieve a significantly increased battery life. Great.

What I wasn't expecting however is when entering Expedition Mode (from a 'Prompted' setup) for an activity recording to automatically start - I don't believe this would always be desirable.. and indeed probably comes at a further unnecessary battery cost.

An example would be when reaching camp - I might end my activity recording for the day and engage expedition mode - effectively placing the device in standby for the evening/night while still checking for InReach messages and, if InReach Tracking is enabled, sending up occasional location pings. But I don't need/want an activity recording of me wondering around camp.

Is this a bug?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unexpected behaviour: Entering expedition mode always starts recording an activity

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What are your Activity Recording settings? If configured for 'automatic', and not time or distance based, being stationary for the duration of an extended stop (overnight, etc.) should not result in very many tracks points added.

Do you have track logs you can share (email to webmaster at gpsrchive dot com too keep private) that indicate otherwise?

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”