BirdsEye satellite image quality on a eTrex 22x?

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr
blather233

BirdsEye satellite image quality on a eTrex 22x?

Unread post by blather233 »

I'm thinking of purchasing a eTrex 22x to use when snowmobiling in the mountains of British Columbia. I want to use satellite imagery to help with exploration however I can't seem to find any review of how BirdsEye looks on a 22x? Is there sufficient image detail on the screen that you can see the images ok? I don't want to buy the 22x then find out that the satellite imagery doesn't really work on it. If anybody has any experience with this unit and BirdsEye please let me know if good or bad? Thanks!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: BirdsEye satellite image quality on a eTrex 22x?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Garmin BirdsEye imagery detail does not change from one device to the next, only how much of it can be viewed on the display.

The eTrex x2x display is 2.2" diagonal with a resolution of 240x320 pixels, which will display more detail than an eTrex Touch (2.6"-160x240) and less detail than an Oregon 7x0 (3.0"-240x400).

Are there any specific reasons you are looking at the eTrex x2x and not an Oregon 7x0? They are similarly priced, but one is far more capable than the other.
blather233

Unread post by blather233 »

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking of an eTrex over the Oregon for two reasons: 1) I don't touchscreen when back in the bush in the snow & 2) The price is much lower on the eTrex which helps.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yeah, all the 'push-button' units with larger screens also have larger bodies... And larger price tags!

The BirdsEye Satellite Imagery will not be any better or worse on your unit, you just will not be able to see as much on the map screen for any given zoom level when compared to larger screen devices.

I'm not sure I would want to be squinting at the tiny eTrex display while operating a snowmobile (etc.) - but to each their own!

Return to “eTrex x2x”