Dakota 10 doesn't acquire satellites

Discussion related to the Garmin Dakota GPSr
skinnie

Re: Dakota 10 doesn't acquire satellites

Unread post by skinnie »

Once again thanks for your engagement, here are screenshots of all those "hidden menus"
external link
In the meanwhile I found in a french forum, something that I already have read briefly somewhere, that is that the battery on inside the gps is flat, and needs replacement.
On this forum
external link
it speaks for etrex, but also mentions the same behavior on the dakotas.
What is your opinion on this?
more in depth here for other units
external link
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

More about it on other units
external links
Just ordered a ML621, will see if it solves. Pretty confident it will, but keen on earing your opinion
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

This is very interesting and I can not wait to hear your result after replacing the battery!

I see in the diagnostic pages the RAM and ROM tests passed, which is what I was most interested in.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:06 am This is very interesting and I can not wait to hear your result after replacing the battery!

I see in the diagnostic pages the RAM and ROM tests passed, which is what I was most interested in.
Well, I still haven't received the ML621 battery.
I had a friend that understand a bit electronics and he bring a welding iron, a power supply and a multimeter.
We measured the original ml621 and it had 0.25v.
We tried to charge it to 3v, but after some seconds it started dropping voltage like crazy. So it was definelly shot.
We tried connecting the power supply to give it 3v, power up the gps and still no gps fix. Time was wrong.
We de-soldered the battery and soldered two LR44, measured the voltage, powered up and and still no gps fix. Time was wrong.
Did reset everything, tried again, no go.
Flashed firmware again, tried again, no go.
I run out of options.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Jetson wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:50 pm Any news? I have Dakota 10 and also Dakota 20 and both after upgrade to 5.80 software version, never acquire satellites (as wrote here). I returned until 4.1 version, but lower version with other version of GPS firmware (present 5.0), impossible to downgrade...
What software did you use to update your devices?
I know that this one was updated via basecamp :/

Return to “Dakota”