Dakota 10 doesn't acquire satellites

Discussion related to the Garmin Dakota GPSr
skinnie

Re: Dakota 10 doesn't acquire satellites

Unread post by skinnie »

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:53 pm Are you able to get screen captures from the Dakota > Setup > About page showing the loaded software versions? Please share these with the GarminDevice.xml file from the \Garmin\ directory.

Send to webmaster at GPSrChive dot com if you do not want to post them here.
Here you have it:
external link
Once again thanks for your helping.
For this screenshots, I used GCD flashing with GCDs from your site.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

skinnie wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:48 am First thing I noticed, it says software version 5.2, while it is running firmware 4.1
I did not see this in the screen captures and GarminDevice.xml files you sent. I was looking for the mismatch you mentioned, but am unable to find it.

So, to clarify, with the versions that will flash, 4.10 and above, the device boots properly and functions properly other than never finding satellites?
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:57 pm
skinnie wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:48 am First thing I noticed, it says software version 5.2, while it is running firmware 4.1
I did not see this in the screen captures and GarminDevice.xml files you sent. I was looking for the mismatch you mentioned, but am unable to find it.

So, to clarify, with the versions that will flash, 4.10 and above, the device boots properly and functions properly other than never finding satellites?
Ok, maybe this "software version 5.2" is other thing read by g7towin. This "naming" also appear when flashing a RGN on the PC.
Yes, it boots properly, functions properly, other than never finding satellites. They are greyed

IMG-7497.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Since others (myself included) are able to see Satellites with the most current firmware and software loaded, I do not think this is a firmware/software issue. Instead, I think you may have a hardware fault, either one of the PCB components, or perhaps the patch antenna has come loose from the PCB? This has been reported multiple times by Montana 6x0 users with similar symptoms.

How comfortable are you with partially disassembling the Dakota for inspection?

The small rectangular component visible at the very top center of the left image below is the GPS patch antenna.

Dakota PCB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Thanks for the help.
I also had like 3 Dakotas, and never had problem with updates (for 5.80), but this one (according to previous owner was due to firmware updates) and the user Jetson claims the same.
I just open it, super clean, doesn't seem like nothing is damage. That "antenna" seems to be very solid and tight.
Should it touch anything else on the case? Because from what I see it doesn't touch anything.

Pictures of the disassembly here:
external link
Is there any "chipset" firmware I can try to flash?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

No, the GNSS antenna is not supposed to be touching anything else.

Unfortunately, the GPS Chipset firmware is baked into the device firmware, so it is not possible to flash only the GPS Chipset. The oldest firmware version with a GPS Chipset updates was firmware v2.20 - Have you tried backdating the device to this version also? (Oldest version you listed was 2.70)
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:17 am No, the GNSS antenna is not supposed to be touching anything else.

Unfortunately, the GPS Chipset firmware is baked into the device firmware, so it is not possible to flash only the GPS Chipset. The oldest firmware version with a GPS Chipset updates was firmware v2.20 - Have you tried backdating the device to this version also? (Oldest version you listed was 2.70)
Yes, tried it with GCD and RGN (present in the recovery file Dakota_2_1_recovery.zip on your site). It gets stuck on loader loading, like all firmwares below 4.04 beta.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Running out of ideas....

What was the firmware version loaded when trying to update to versions below 4.04? Maybe load the oldest that works first, then try to downgrade one version at a time?

If not, may be that Garmin has specifically baked these to not load with older GPS chipset versions.

Which brings me to another option. Can you please copy the entire contents of the Dakota GPSr to a zip file and share that with us? I would like to see every single file on the device (make sure invisible or hidden files are made visible before making the zip file).
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Yeah me too..ony new idea was to download almanac from a working device like described here:
External Link
But I don't have other device that can be read by g7towin.

I tried to go from 4.04 beta to 4.02 beta, same gps chipset firmware..
Dump here
External Link
Thank you a lot
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I am unable to find anything suspect in the dump file provided, everything matches our Dakota.

G7toWin does not play well on Win10, apparently. Does not want to connect to the Dakota under any circumstances, although will briefly indicate the unit ID and (wrong) firmware version then drops connection again.

Load the most current firmware, then power on the Dakota and open the Satellite page. Now press and hold the top left corner of the screen until the diagnostic screen appears. Press 'Start' at lower left and wait until 'Start' is displayed again. Touch the screen in the center to activate the backlight when it turns off. Take a photo of the screen now that the test has completed and share it here.

Return to “Dakota”