GPSMAP 66 Not reading the microSD card [Hardware Failure 4]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
asprin624

GPSMAP 66 Not reading the microSD card [Hardware Failure 4]

Unread post by asprin624 »

This has happen on a couple of times that the 66s does not read the SD card.

It started with 4.20 and every update to now 5.00.
I can be in my office and attached the 66s to my laptop and want to put Geocaches on the SD card.
No SD card.
Turned off the 66s and back on it then reads the SD card
In the morning I took the 66s out for a test drive with v5.00 and all went OK.
Got home and attached the 66s to my laptop and again no SD card.
This time I shut the 66s down and took the batteries out to look at the SD card.
What I found was the sliding door was open and the SD card was not seated correctly.
So I when to close the sliding door and found it to be was very loose.
If fact too loose I took the 66s in hand and was Shaking it a little.
What happened is the sliding door slid open.
So to correct the problem I first put the sliding door back in place and add a small piece of tape.
This correct the problem of the 66s not reading the SD card.
Been out in the afternoon with the 66 after the repair and have not had any problems with the SD card not being read.
The same when I attached it to the Laptop.

As others have reported problems with the 66 not reading the SD card it could very well be the same problem I have with a loose sliding door.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66 Not reading the microSD card [Hardware Failure 4]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for this reminder.

I vaguely remember reading a similar post for an Oregon many years back....

Perhaps a small bit of electrical tape - nothing to sticky that is difficult to remove later.

Maybe even a small sticky paper label can suffice!
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I have also found the door sliding open a few times when changing batteries. Once it was also not reading the card. First I assumed that I had just not closed it properly. After the 2nd or 3rd time, I began to wonder. It has stayed shut recently but I may have to try the tape solution if it happens again.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Just a thought. Is it possible the addition of a battery switch "shim" may have caused the problem? The switch is located next to the micro SD card and a shim may possibly put undue pressure on it's card holder. As discussed in these forums, it's very tight under the battery cover even without using something to defeat the switch.
asprin624

The problem comes from the 2 wings on the door. (see screen shot)
If they are not in the correct position it will not seat tight.

microSD Tabs.png

This is a very old system to hold microSD cards if you look at any of the Nuvi they have the slot on the outside.
That would not be ideal for any Handheld unit. If you look at the old eTrex series like the Legend HCx the microSD slot is just under the cover and not under the batteries. This was a much better system easy to get to with out having to remove the batteries. What is new is where the 66sr now has the microSD card slot. It sits on the side of the unit exterior with a water proof cover. This being ideal for a quick change of microSD cards if need in the field. But that is not the case with any of the Garmin Handhelds most are under the batteries if not all the newer ones.

As for the Battery wedge having a problem with the microSD card holder I tried both the Garmin Battery set and regular 2 batteries both do not come in contact with the card hold to cause any problems.
It comes down to a poor design of a microSD card holder.
Will live with tape on the holder it works with no problems at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

asprin624 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:23 pm The problem comes from the 2 wings on the door. (see screen shot)
If they are not in the correct position it will not seat tight.
Thanks, that may indeed be the issue and the reason it has happened a couple of time for me but also gone for months staying shut. I will pay attention each time I remove the card to make sure I catch those two clips correctly when reinserting.
Iamnotanumber

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

I have also had this issue when changing batteries. The fist time was on a mountain summit in Scotland in hail storm .Changed the batteries and found myself without any mapping. Had to reply on paper and a compass to get down. Ironic really because I have always railed against the don't trust a GPS crowd. Never had the same issue with my Map62.

Like others I worked out the problem and now I am very careful to make sure is seated and locked in place properly. It remains a basic design flaw though
AlbertaLyle

Unread post by AlbertaLyle »

I just purchased my 66S in June of this year. The very first time that I changed out my batteries, I got caught out by this same issue. Tried a number of things before I checked the batteries and the battery bay and realized that the microSD card had come adrift.

Now I check it every time I do a battery swap, but it just seems like a poor design to lock down/seat the card.
asprin624

Small problem when using tape on the door.
:
Be careful when lifting the tape up when you want to change the microSD card.

It will pull the door off its hinge. What I did to overcome this problem was to make a rubber mat to cover the microSD housing. Made it fit just to the right size of the opening. Then I attached a piece of tape to the rubber mat then on the edge of the tape I attached a piece of paper so there is something to pull on. It is a quick fix to a problem some users might have with the door not fitting tight.
See screen shots:

The rubber mat with tape on it:

The rubber mat in the 66

Iamnotanumber

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

Sounds like a good idea . My SD card holder still plays up from time to time. Much as I like the 66 I find this a real problem. The one thing I value above anything in a GPS unit is reliability.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”