GPSMAP 66s - BirdsEye Map Crash

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Masoud-gh

GPSMAP 66s - BirdsEye Map Crash

Unread post by Masoud-gh »

Hello everyone.
I have a GPSMAP 66s. It's really very nice and useful GPS that I have ever had . But I have problem with that. Unfortunately the device has turns off while using Birdseye. On the other hand there is no any problem when the Birdseye is not active. This problem has been occurred when I want to zoom in or out on Birdseye maps!
I have reset the device for several times but it has not solved.

Please fine attached file.

I would be glad if you can help me to solve this problem.

Regards...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66s - BirdsEye Map Crash

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I do see many crash reports in those files, all running version 4.20.

Garmin just released a new Beta v5.00 yesterday with many updates and fixes.

Can you install the v5.00 Beta update and retest and report your results here, please?
Masoud-gh

Thank you for reply.
I installed this update but unfortunately it didn't do it.
I tried to find what problem it is! I found out this problem is related to some of Birdseye downloaded maps.
The procedure that I did was I ran every downloaded Birdseye maps separately.
I observed that some of them caused to turn off the device. I removed them and the problem solved.
Since I needed mentioned maps, I tried to download them again. Unfortunately device crashed again...
I changed the size, quality and area of the maps, But it did not work. :shock: :shock: :shock:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Are these maps that crash the unit downloaded via BirdsEye Direct on the device?

If so, please post coordinates for a waypoint in the center of the area(s) you are having trouble with along the distance and quality settings you are using for each so we can try to duplicate the issue on our GPSMAP 66.

Also, when does the device crash?

When the map is enabled?

When moving to the portion of the map that has the BirdsEye enabled?

All details are important to help us duplicate.

Thank You.
Masoud-gh

All maps are downloaded via basecamp.
As you know there are three level of map quality for download (Standard, High and Highest) .I tried with middle size (High quality).

Please find this coordinate: N33.68959 ° E47.69628 °
Please note that this is one of troubled coordinates.

As I mentioned before the device crashes while zoom in / out near mentioned coordinate and some of maps (troubled maps).
The second situation that I encounter this serious problem is when I select and run troubled map (view map) via direct Birdseye from main menu.

The Birdseye Maps are always active.

Yes, The Birdseye is enabled when I move the cursor on the map.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What was the radius for the coordinates you specified?

Also, it would be good to know what other maps are active? Any Custom Maps? If you disable ALL OTHER MAPS, does the crash still occur?
Masoud-gh

I do not know how to find out the radius, But may you can find it by attached screen shot.
All maps are activated while crashed is happened. But I tried with just one map and crash happened Incredibly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I have tested with your coordinates at multiple radius values (out to several miles) and multiple resolution values, and am unable to duplicate a device crash when viewing or panning the BirdsEye map.

Please remove (or rename *.img/*.kmz to *.bkp) all maps on your device (including custom maps) and retest again.
Masoud-gh

Thank you so much for reply.
I found out an interesting and strange thing as I will described below:

1- I erased every thing on SD card and reset the device again.
2- The Birdseye maps was copied into SD card.
3- I tried previous procedure again. GPSMAP66S was turned off as similar as before.
4- The SD card was formatted. I just copied mentioned coordinate into SD card. I tried to run coordinate. The device turned off again!.
5- I removed the SD card. The mentioned coordinate was copied into internal storage. The device worked very well !
6- I inserted formatted SD card again, The device was turned on and worked with no any problem after running the map.
7- I copied erased Birdseye maps into SD card Except than mentioned coordinate.(Mentioned coordinate was remained into internal storage)
8- I turned on the device and mentioned coordinate was run again. Unfortunately the GPS device was turned off again...

Conclusion:
The mentioned coordinate does not have any problem until it has been copied into external storage.
The device crashes when other Birdseye map copied onto SD card. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
In northen europe earlier today the 5.00 software was released as a normal release.
It mentioned some update related to birdseye shutdown, but it may be that they just took the same fixes as were in 4.70.
Let's hope it gets resolved.

I have noted shutdowns for custom maps made in google earth, but those shutdowns were often a product of bad/unfortunate save. if i made some small change and saved again, it usually works well also on the SD card. Maybe it is some issue with the card, or hardware to write/read to/from the card?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”