Geocache not shown with "Geocaching Live" (FW-Version 4.2)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
bonstetten

Geocache not shown with "Geocaching Live" (FW-Version 4.2)

Unread post by bonstetten »

Strange behavior today: I loaded geocaches with "Geocaching Live" arround my current position and they appeard. But one traditional Geocache (https://coord.info/GC6Z3RE) within others did not.

- Geocaching-Filter was "show all", Settings checked ( similar cache nearby appeard)
- No special character in the Geocache-Name
- The geocache was active
- I could load the cache by entering the GC-Code on the GPS

Any Idea why this happen?

(GPSMAP 66st, FW-Version 4.2)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocache not shown with "Geocaching Live" (FW-Version 4.2)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have just tested with a GPSMAP 66 v470, GPSMAP 66sr v270, and Montana 7x0 v530, and all download this geocache via GCLive without issue.

16940.png

The only thing I can think of is if you had this cache manually loaded in the past, and that GPX/GGZ file was still on the device, then it can not be downloaded via GCLive as manually loaded data always trumps GCLive data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonstetten

Unread post by bonstetten »

Thank you for your efforts to reproduce this.

The cache appears in the geocache-list on the device and also it has now synchronized it as „found“ (I logged the cache on the PC at home, not on the device, what is unusable for me).
But the cache still does not appear on the map (only if i select the cache directly on the list). Very strange.
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

The only thing I can think of is if you had this cache manually loaded in the past, and that GPX/GGZ file was still on the device, then it can not be downloaded via GCLive as manually loaded data always trumps GCLive data.
Wow. I was not aware of that. I expected the Geocaching Live process would update existing data (e.g. update availability, update new logs etc.). Not very clever.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

When GCLive was first introduced, existing geocache data on the device was overwritten, and many users who had specific data loaded via GSAK or similar found this unfavorable, so a decision was made to not load GCLive data for geocaches that already exist on the device in GPX or GGZ format.

Very clever, actually.
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

I doubt this is "very clever".

Simple example: The cache already loaded on the device has status "active". In reality the cache has been changed to "not active" or even "archived". It would make sense to update the status. Right?
I agree, user specific information (e.g. corrections of coordinates) should not be overwritten.

Before I start my vacations I load caches to all major places I plan to visit. GClive data would be used to update the preloaded data. In a case where a transmission fails I have at least the data already loaded. In your "very clever" scenario I have nothing if I have problems with Bluetooth (common Garmin/iPhone issue), no WLAN or mobile data (somewhere in the mountains).

Regards
WWerner
GPSrChive
Site Admin

wwerner wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:56 pm Before I start my vacations I load caches to all major places I plan to visit. GClive data would be used to update the preloaded data. In a case where a transmission fails I have at least the data already loaded. In your "very clever" scenario I have nothing if I have problems with Bluetooth (common Garmin/iPhone issue), no WLAN or mobile data (somewhere in the mountains).

Regards
WWerner
If you have no internet connection, you still have all the data you pre-loaded at the beginning of your paragraph.....
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

Yes. But because of the "very clever solution" I have either preloaded but outdated information or the risk of no information.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

wwerner wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:32 pm Yes. But because of the "very clever solution" I have either preloaded but outdated information or the risk of no information.
The only other option at the time, as I remember, was to allow only one or the other.

Your 'preloaded data' is only as outdated as you want it to be.

And yes, you still have the 'option' or 'choice' to use either.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Review the Oregon 7x0 Firmware Update v2.70 (02NOV16) Release Notes, third line from the last:

"Fixed issue where live geocaches would overwrite geocaches loaded via .gpx file"

Currently, they can only index each geocache once, so we can not have both GPX/GGZ and GCLive data for the same geocache.

While not ideal, one could carry a second, much less expensive device loaded with only the desired GPX/GGZ data, and use the GCLive equipped device to access current geocache information in the field. Certainly, carrying two devices is not the most desirable option for many, but it does offer the best of both worlds should you so desire.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”