GPSMAP 66 is Non-Functional After firmware 4.70 Update

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
CheminerWill

Re: GPSMAP 66 is Non-Functional After firmware 4.70 Update

Unread post by CheminerWill »

sammyB wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 pm I tried to download to 4.20 but this didn't work either
I had also an expert looking into it,and he says that de file GarminDevice.xml is missing
Sammy - Is your unit bricked also? If so how did someone determine the xml file is missing. On mine that would be impossible as there is no way to access the device. Did you load any geocaches after updating to 4.7?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

@CheminerWill,

Did you try the Forced USB Mass Storage Mode to gain access to your GPSMAP 66 so you could remove your GPX/GGZ files AND the SQL directory before rebooting it?

This will get you access to the device without waiting for it to boot.

The process is listed under the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Troubleshooting page. Look for "Why does my computer not recognize my GPSMAP 66?".
beedaddy

Unread post by beedaddy »

CheminerWill wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:52 pm So you did nothing with GSAK? Just used Live? That would indicate that Garmin is going down a wrong rabbit hole thinking it is somehow related only to GSAK.
Yes, I didn't transfer any file to the device. I just did a geocache live sync.
beedaddy

@gpsrchive Wow, as I said, I didn't have any .ggz files, but entering the Forced USB Mass Storage Mode and deleting the SQL folder, as you suggested, did the trick. Device now successfully boots again. Thanks a lot!
UglyTim

Unread post by UglyTim »

So, I had the same problem. Did the update, worked fine for the first boot. Then, in the forest, the device would not boot again. Ruind my day. But do not panic, there is a fix.

First, you can still get to the file system via USB. Just push the up button on the device and keep it pushed while you attache the USB cable. Keep it pushed for the next 30 seconds. The device will go into USB mode. You can now backup your data, but it will not help to get the device working again. The 4.70 firmware fucks it up too much to be able to reinstal another firmware version on its own. What you need to do is force an old firmware version (4.20 would work) on the device. And here is how you do it:

http://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP% ... %20Install

Worked fine for me. Use the Forced USB mode described above to save your data (tracks and so on) before you do this.

Cheers,
UglyTim
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, the Forced USB Mass Storage Mode process is available from the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Troubleshooting page. Look for "Why does my computer not recognize my GPSMAP 66?".
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I got some great personal help from GPScChive. Thank you! Walked me through getting the device booted up using the trouble shooting page for forced usb mass storage mode and several other tips.

Then GPSrChive updated me on some techniques for using the Live features. Now I will not need to use .ggz files for geocaches which will make life easier. The unit froze a couple more times during all that but this was probably because we had reinserted the SD card. For now, until Garmin gets this issue figured out, I think I will remove my 32GB SD card so to hopefully prevent freeze ups. At least we now know there is a way to get the unit back using forced mass storage mode.

Too bad Garmin support is not even 1/2 as knowledgeable as GPSrChive! Don't bother calling them, get your help here and be happier. And too bad I did not wait longer before calling them as now I have a replacement unit coming that I probably don't need.
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

At least here in Europe it is very common to travel with a portable hotspot which transfers the connection from a SIM card to a wireless LAN between the hotspot and phones or other devices (e.g. GARMINs). This is to avoid data roaming between countries while traveling.
Unfortunately the Garmin Device might use the mobile WLAN connection to perform an upgrade! This might create unexpected cost for data traffic on the SIM card but more important might create a dangerous situation as described in this thread. Just imaging a user is somewhere in the wilderness where a GPS might be extremely important and the update is basically killing the device and/or the map information after spending some time in a place with WLAN.
The device should ALWAYS ask the user for permission BEFORE a download and installation. In my view the current implementation of the WLAN update is a big security risk.
Regards
WWERNER
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

So what's the conclusion? Not to install 4.7 when having large ggz?

Speaking of, when will that very annoying issue be finally fixed that it takes ages to load a large ggz (and the unit looks freezed on startup), whilst my old 64 loads the same ggz in a "blink of the eye"?
beedaddy

I could again use the device for some time, but my uneducated guess is: as soon as a pocket query (live geocaching) has the status "synced", the device won't boot the next time. Then it's necessary to delete the SQL folder.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”