issue after update to 4.7: Continuous Auto Calibration still Fails

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Hiker

issue after update to 4.7: Continuous Auto Calibration still Fails

Unread post by Hiker »

I just updated to FW V4.70 and can' but say that the "Continuous Auto Calibration" does not work, nor has it ever been to expectations.

I do hope one of those days the bug will be remedied. I know, good things are worth waiting for, but this bug has been about for much too long with all FW versions I've seen.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: issue after update to 4.7: Continuous Auto Calibration still Fails

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Are you referring to the altimeter calibration? What doesn't work?
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

My apologies for referring to the bug in shorthand as I have on numerous occasions referred to bug 66 of your list. Yes, I am relating to the calibration of the barometric altimeter. GPS and barometric altitude should be within close tracking range.

I've noticed, that the status of the bug (66) has changed from red to green. Up till now I can't confirm that bug has been dealt with from V4.20 to V4.70. Nevertheless I am in contact with Garmin (Reference ID:17559775K1). What evidence do you have, that the bug has been eradicated?
Nevertheless I will look into matters myself. Unfortunately the barometric pressure over here is static and it remains to be seen how the GPSMAP 66 behaves with the weather situation being more dynamic. I will report to you and to Garmin, should my final findings be different from now.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I actually just tested this earlier today and found that the behaviors listed in Bug 66 no longer occur with my GPSMAP 66 v470.

If you can still duplicate an issue, please advise so we can update the wiki!
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

Many thanks for your swift response. I do hope I'm wrong. I will do various trails and will let you and Garmin know in due time.

Regards

Hiker
rogerm

Unread post by rogerm »

I also think the feature doesn't work. On my GPSMAP 62, if I deliberately miscalibrate the altimeter then over time it gradually adjusts in the direction of the GPS altitude. On my GPSMAP 66 if I have it set to continuous calibration the error remains constant. If I set it to calibrate once and turn the unit off and on again it still does nothing.

In the bug section it talks about it depending on recording controls. I set my device up just to record continuously since I just want tracks of everywhere I go. I tried turning it off to see if it made a difference. But whatever I do the altimeter refuses to calibrate itself.

The docs say: "Continuous allows the altimeter to calibrate throughout the duration of your activity.". This strongly suggests that the altimeter should be being adjusted and gives no suggestion that it should depend on anything else.
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

You are dead right. I did the same with my GPSMAP 62s which I passed on to my daughter. Once given an altitude way off, it converged over time. The 66st stays where it once has been set to. There was some variation through different FW versions, in that recording controls had some impact. With recording stopped, the "correct" altitude reading turned up instantaneously. I can't figure out weather it was through calibration or the figure of the altitude reading was dormant in some register of the CPU.

Over night my 66 has been off, the barometric pressure increased, the altitude readout is lower than it should be and the continuous auto calibration does not show up. However, when stopping the activity recorder, discarding the recording, the readout instantaneously changes to 90m which is not the actual GPS altitude.

The mentioned feature is one of the key features of a GPSr. I had various e-mails and phone calls with Garmin. They even on one occasion confirmed the bug. On the botom-line no remedy has been offered yet. The issue has been raised more than a year ago. It can't be in the interest of Garmin to discredit their own reputation.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”