Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

kampy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:48 pm ...why should you cut the current activity.
Because the user configured it to do so!
kampy

Re: Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Unread post by kampy »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 pm
kampy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:48 pm ...why should you cut the current activity.
Because the user configured it to do so!
I do not agree with you. When I bought the device, one of the good news was that 2 track fixation systems are working at the same time. "Old" like all other GPSMaps and "New" sports through activities like all sports devices garmin. The archiving function should work only for the "Old" system and has nothing to do with activities. I don’t know of a single garmin sports device with a similar setting for activity, and this is understandable, they do not need it. I consider this to be a serious architectural bug. It is very convenient for me to have a daily archive of my movements, but this should not be related to activities.

The second problem is no longer in architecture, but in implementation. This is the loss of tracks when transferring to the archive. I will try to understand what conditions caused this very serious bug.
kampy

Unread post by kampy »

kampy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:13 am The second problem is no longer in architecture, but in implementation. This is the loss of tracks when transferring to the archive. I will try to understand what conditions caused this very serious bug.
The problem with the complete loss of data when transferring data to the archive for a day was not confirmed, fortunately. I was inattentive

The main problem remains, why clear the activity when transferring gpx to the archive
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Would it not be easier to use Garmin Connect to get the info off you 66?
It works great for other Garmin products.
Most if not everyone has a smartphone with them and paired to the 66 so all the data is picked up.
There might be even other 3rd party apps that can get the FIT info off the 66.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi, maybe, maybe not, the main point raised is that the FIT (activity) data is lost from the unit when the unit autoarchives the GPX.
For anyone not using the connect apps because they want to save battery, they dont want or does not have an advanced phone, they risk loosing data.

Waiting for the next software as it may be corrected.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We are still investigating: "FIT (Activity) data lost when GPX (Tracklog) is Auto-Archived"
asprin624

@987,

I have Garmin Connect setup on a old Android 6 smartphone.
Bluetooth is off
66s Bluetooth is off

When I am ready to upload the data I turn on BT on the phone and 66s.
Then sync the data.

There is not need to have the Bluetooth on the whole day.
You put it on when you are ready to upload the data and then turn it off when finished. (both on the phone and 66)

You say this:
For anyone not using the connect apps because they want to save battery, they don't want or does not have an advanced phone, they risk loosing data.

There is no use of the battery with Bluetooth off on the 66.
For the minute you turn it on not much battery is used
You do not need an advanced smartphone for this to work.

Plus Garmin website tells you to use Garmin Connect for uploading the FIT data.
Nothing about doing it any other way.

With what everyone is doing right now you lose your FIT data.......
If Garmin wanted to upload the Fit data the way you want to do it they would of set the 66 to do so.
kampy

Unread post by kampy »

@asprin624
I do not understand what you are trying to say.
Garmin Connect is not used in any way during the activity. When the Activity ends you press save and the activity is transferred to Garmin Connect. Well, the problem is that if AutoArchive is enabled and the activity took place at the moment when it was performed, then only the part remaining after archiving will be transferred to Garmin Connect
GPSrChive
Site Admin

'Auto Archive GPX' was replaced with 'Auto Save' on the new Montana 7x0.

We have tested with our Montana 7x0 and can confirm both gpx and fit files are saved when 'Auto Save' is enabled.

We suspect this change will also be applied to additional currently supported Garmin devices in the near future to maintain consistency across product lines.
asprin624

I installed the Connect app on my smartphone Sunday. The wife and I spent the next 4 days in Germany doing hiking and Geocaching. Did not think much about the Connect app I installed on the smartphone. When I got home and connect the 66s to my Laptop all the FIT files were there under activities directory. Even after I connected to Garmin Express the files remained on the 66s. So installing the Connect app on a smartphone does hold the FIT files on your 66s. Without it the 66s deletes the files when you connect to the laptop and Garmin Express.

see screenshot below:

FIT Files.png

As I do not use FIT files this was just at test......
And the info was on the website from Garmin Connect via Garmin Express.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”