possible error and feature suggestion (kJ)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: possible error and feature suggestion (kJ)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you.

We have added the label example to Feature Request 28 on GPSMAP 66 Common Issues page.

Unread post by 987 »

On feature request 28, can we have kJ added back?
And in my opinion it does not need to be connected to celcius/farenheit setting.
Becase Calorie or kcal is only a question of naming the same value, whereas kJ also requires to be differently calculated (kcal x ~ 4.2).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

987 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 am On feature request 28, can we have kJ added back?
We are much more likely to see some movement on this request if we can keep it very simple. In this scenario, the only thing that needs to be changed is the 'title' of the data field since one 'Calorie' (capital 'C') = 1000 'calories' (lower case 'c') = one 'kcal'.
987 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 am And in my opinion it does not need to be connected to celcius/farenheit setting.
How then will the device know which data field title to use? Seems to me the most likely scenario is that those who are in regions that use 'Celsius' instead of 'Fahrenheit' would also see 'kcal' instead of 'Calories' on their groceries.
987 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 am Becase Calorie or kcal is only a question of naming the same value, whereas kJ also requires to be differently calculated (kcal x ~ 4.2).
This would require a 'new data field', of which I believe Garmin have not added any since December 2011. (please do fact check me here - in case I have missed some!)

Adding a 'kJ' data field would be an additional more complicated task beyond renaming the 'Calories' data field to 'kcal', and greatly reduce the chances of seeing any improvement here at all (based on my experience).

However, this entire thread is linked to the feature request, and any Garmin software engineer reading your post will see the desire for the 'kJ' addition as well.

Baby steps...

Unread post by 987 »

Maybe the field could be called something like Energy, Used energy or Consumed energy.
A separate (new) setting would change what it should show; Calories = kcal or kJ.
Similar to the field called Speed or others that are unit dependent.
One name, but units can be in km/h, miles/h, knots/h.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Amazingly....

Garmin software engineers have already read this thread and indicated they are considering this request for potential implementation.

Keep your fingers, toes and eyes crossed!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”