Routing questions

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Routing questions

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st software 4.20 GPS 2.70
Hi.

First observation.
Say i have a route with 3 intermediate points.
Let's now say that i have passed via the first point, and now decide to recalculate the activity, (i want to change to faster time or to shorter distance).
The natural thing would be that the device should recalculate the remaining route and show me how to get to the second point and then the third, instead it actually recalculates only to the third and final point.
This behaviour is the same as on earlier devices, but i think it would be more natural (and desired) to continue on the route if you are navigating on a route.

Second.
is it possible while doing Automotive routing to manually advance or go back to points?
For example, i am on a route, on that route i had a plan to go via some point, for some reason i decide to skip it, and pass it at some distance, but not close enough for the unit to move to the next point.
Is there some way to tell the unit that is should now move to the next point and continue along the route?

Similar question is if it is possible to start the routing along a route, but not from the first point?
Example, say i want to travel Berlin - Hannover - Frankfurt - Paris. I have a route made for this.
After some time of travelling (without routing), i have passed Berlin. Now i decide that i need to use the GPS to show me how to continue via Hannover, Frankfurt to Paris.
Can i reuse the route and start from somewhere within it, or will the only option be to create a new route?
(i ask because i haven't found any option to start within a route)
asprin624

Re: Routing questions

Unread post by asprin624 »

First using a 66s as a car GPS or in any GPS I would setup a waypoint to go to each location.
No different when hiking
I can have a route on the map setup to use but in most cases do not always stay on that route.
It is there just as a guide (hiking).
Examples:
Berlin: I get there and stop the waypoint.
Do what I had to do in Berlin.
Back in the car or motorcycle.
Now pick Hannover, Frankfurt or Paris waypoint.

With using waypoints I can change my mind and change how I am going to drive.

Example:
Instead of going to Hannover next I want to go to Frankfurt I pick that waypoint and go.
If I still later want to go to Hannover I can always stop the Frankfurt waypoint and then pick that Hannover waypoint or just on to Paris waypoint.

As I do not use routes for this I can change at anytime if again I decide well Frankfurt is not the best time to drive to it.
I stop the waypoint and then go back to Hannover waypoint and from where I am on the road it recalculates a route to Hannover.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

987 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:23 am GPSMAP 66st software 4.20 GPS 2.70
Hi.

First observation.
Say i have a route with 3 intermediate points.
Let's now say that i have passed via the first point, and now decide to recalculate the activity, (i want to change to faster time or to shorter distance).
The natural thing would be that the device should recalculate the remaining route and show me how to get to the second point and then the third, instead it actually recalculates only to the third and final point.
This behaviour is the same as on earlier devices, but i think it would be more natural (and desired) to continue on the route if you are navigating on a route.
See Setup > Routing > Route Transitions for Direct Routing and Setup > Routing > Off Route Recalculation for Guided Routing.
987 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:23 am Second.
is it possible while doing Automotive routing to manually advance or go back to points?
For example, i am on a route, on that route i had a plan to go via some point, for some reason i decide to skip it, and pass it at some distance, but not close enough for the unit to move to the next point.
Is there some way to tell the unit that is should now move to the next point and continue along the route?
Sounds like you might need to try Setup > Routing > Off Route Recalculation > Prompted for this scenario.
987 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:23 am Similar question is if it is possible to start the routing along a route, but not from the first point?
Example, say i want to travel Berlin - Hannover - Frankfurt - Paris. I have a route made for this.
After some time of travelling (without routing), i have passed Berlin. Now i decide that i need to use the GPS to show me how to continue via Hannover, Frankfurt to Paris.
Can i reuse the route and start from somewhere within it, or will the only option be to create a new route?
(i ask because i haven't found any option to start within a route)
Perhaps the same Setup > Routing > Off Route Recalculation > Prompted will work for this scenario also? Let us know....

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I must stand corrected.
The first observations still holds (routing recalculation settings does not seem to matter), but the second related to transitions actually works as intended and does move to the next point after some time.
I must have been too eager to move to the next point while navigating, if i had waited longer the unit eventually understands to move to the next point, this works also when starting in the middle of some route. (case closed).

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”