66s will not power up anymore

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
RecipeForDisaster

66s will not power up anymore

Unread post by RecipeForDisaster »

My 66s was running and crashed as it commonly does (I've been talking with Garmin since I got it). Sometimes when it comes back up, I have no caches showing up on it, and/or it doesn't read the SD card even after removing it, starting up without it, and re-inserting it. This time it would not power back on at ALL. I tried new batteries, DC power from my truck, AC power, a different kind of batteries (Eneloop and alkaline, plus the rechargeable Garmin pack which had power), and now have tried recovery mode connected to the computer. I used up on the D-pad and tried the power button while connected via USB with the battery pack and SD card out. Nothing!!!!!

I am really upset as I love this unit when it's working - it has let me down many, many times. I always carry an eTrex 20 as a backup because it's so finicky and can strand me somewhere with none of the data I loaded. This is way beyond bad, though. I've written to Garmin again, but fear that they won't support me as I've had it more than a year now (although it was never running smoothly). Any other tips?
RecipeForDisaster

Re: 66s will not power up anymore

Unread post by RecipeForDisaster »

Garmin, thankfully, is exchanging the unit without even asking me to troubleshoot anything more. It’s been troublesome since I got it, but I love the features. The crashes where it loses data are the worst, and this also happens to the other person I know who has one. The weird thing is that removing the SD card, restarting it without it, and replacing it usually didn’t help - I was always taught that reindexing those files would fix the issue.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: 66s will not power up anymore

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Very good result!

Please return here and let us know how the new GPSMAP 66 works out!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”