Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st software 4.20, gps 2.70

Hi.
I have around 100 waypoints saved and currently 3 routes created.

On the internal disk, those are stored in
/Garmin/GPX/ directory.
one Route file per route. (example name Route_2020-06-29 002353.gpx), a total of 3 files.
one Waypoints file per day on which waypoints were saved. (example name Waypoints_24-JUN-20.gpx), a total of around 15 files.
Why they use different date format i don't know, but that is not the important thing.

Now, every so often, the unit stops to display the routes in the Route planner and stops displaying waypoints in the Waypoint manager. Neither do they show in the map.
Even after restart of unit, they do not show up. Find menu show the same result, they are not present.

If i connect the unit via the mass storage, i can see those files under the /Garmin/GPX/ directory on the unit (not SD card). I remove the files (make a copy first), restart the unit so it re-builds route and waypoint file index.
Then connect via USB again, add the files back and start the unit to re-build the index again, they will show.

Next time i restart the unit they may be shown but they may also be not shown.
I noticed once that it occurred after deleting a waypoint that was present in a route, but this is nothing that i can confirm, because other times when some waypoint which is present in a route is removed the route simply shows that it will route to the same location as what the waypoint had.

Has anyone else noticed this strange behaviour?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

987, do you use the Garmin Explore app on your mobile phone?

Re: Waypoints and routes dissapear from display, but are present on unit disk [Bug 84]

Unread post by 987 »

No apps connected at all.
I use the gps standalone, occasionally i connect wifi to check the weather in the gps. But only those parts that does not need set up with any app. I haven't noticed that should have any impact.

Unread post by 987 »

At first it looked as only waypoints and routes were having the issue, now i noticed that also saved activities and tracks (manually and auto saved) stop showing...
They are all storid under the same /Garmin/GPX/ directory.

And right after this, as i pressed Mark to create a waypoint a message saying Database Error shows.
After a restart, this time all track data is back and visable again, also the waypoint appears to have been stored.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank You.

Bug 84 posted to GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues.

eMail sent to Garmin.

Unread post by 987 »

one additional observation.
The following is not the only time i observed the issue, but it can rather safely be reproduced if the following is done.

On a specific day (say 2020-07-01) i am doing some trip, during this i mark a few or a lot waypoints.
All of them will be saved in a file /Garmin/GPX/Waypoints_01-JUL-20.gpx.
After the day is over i decide to delete all those waypoints i have marked, because they are not needed any longer.
Because of bugs 46 and 80, which makes it very slow to delete many waypoints, i decide to connect the unit to a computer and remove the Waypoints file.
If i remove only one file, and then start the unit. It will not understand what has occurred and wont show any Waypoints, even though there are still many Waypotins files from other days. After this i have to resort workaround described in the first post of the topic.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the updated information.

Unfortunately, using your method of adding new waypoints during the same day, then removing that GPX file only and rebooting is not creating an issue that prevents us from seeing the remaining waypoints already loaded on the GPSMAP 66.

If you can indeed duplicate this every time, please 'save' the removed GPX files and email them to webmaster@gpsrchive.com for testing.

Thank You.

BTW, it may be worth your while to remove all personal data from the GPSMAP 66, perform a master reset, then reload the data you removed and retest device operation.

Unread post by 987 »

If i connect via the USB mass storage interface, make a complete copy of all what is on the unit memory.
Make a master reset and then add back everything from the backup, overwriting whatever the unit created after the master reset, will it:
- Still show the included maps (which are/were present for the 66st)?
- Restore all my settings?
- Or, will there be many things which i have to set up again?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That method will likely result in restoring the device to the exact state it is currently in. Some files will be rewritten during the master reset, so make sure to 'overwrite' them when copying all data back.

You do not need to remove maps, they will not be removed or altered during the master reset.

Just copy any GPX, GPI (POI), GGZ, and FIT files from the device before the master reset, then copy them back after the master reset.

You may also want to make a backup of any custom Profiles, and copy these back after to prevent a lot of setup time, but if the issue is in the profile settings, the issue will return with the copied profile.

You might want to shortcut all this by first renaming the SQL folder on the GPSMAP 66, then reboot and see if behavior improves (device will rebuild entire database with new SQL folder).

Unread post by 987 »

What is expected in the SQL folder?
I can see one folder called temp, it is empty.
One file CustomMaps.db which contains only two tables, file_log (empty) and garmin_metadata with only one record when checking with sqllite3.
One file UserData.sqlite3 which contains six geocaching related tables. Since i don't do geocaching they are empty.

That is all i find under SQL. There are no hidden files.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”