small suggestion for FIND -> address entering street number [Bug 83]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

small suggestion for FIND -> address entering street number [Bug 83]

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
A small observation when using the FIND -> address meny.
3 set of data can be entered
Search area, Number and Street name.

If one enters Number, the keyboard does not follow the keyboard language setting that one has for text input instead it shows the English keyboard, and
after pressing the very first number on the keypad, the keyboard changes to a character only keyboard.
If i want to enter a street number with more than one character, i have to switch to the numerical keyboard after the first press.

The suggestion is that the unit should show the numerical keyboard when entering the Number section and it should stick to the numerical keyboard until the user selects the character keyboard.

GPSMAP 66st, 4.20
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: small suggestion for FIND -> address entering street number [Bug 83]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What language is your GPSMAP 66 configured for?

I can not duplicate this behavior on any of my Devices, all using English default.

Unread post by 987 »

Very interesting, i will check and post again within 1-2 days. Will try a few different languages.
i have English language on the unit and Swedish for the keyboard.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If you can narrow it down to a specific language/keyboard combination and verify the issue is not otherwise present, and share that information, we can make sure Garmin is informed.

Unread post by 987 »

Unit language does not seem to impact, only the keyboard language.
I tested with unit language English and Swedish. Both show the same result.

For the keyboard language, which i changed before entering FIND -> Address it seems to work in the following way.
When entering the FIND -> Address -> Number, the keyboard shown at first is always the English with a top numerical row.

If one has English keyboard selected, the keyboard remains unchained after pressing a number (actually pressing 1 or more numbers or characters).
If one has any other keyboard language than English, at first the English keyboard with the top numerical row is displayed (not the selected language), and then immediately after pressing any one number or character, the keyboard changes to the selected keyboard language, without the numerical top row.

I tried this on the following keyboard languages (and for both mentioned unit languages): Croatian, English, German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Swedish.

I suggest that the unit should instead show the numerical keyboard and not change it automatically, since after all, one expects to enter a number, and many street numbers can be longer than just one digit, say 23 or 1234.

There are entrances with letters, such as 1A, 1B, but i believe that in most countries the addressing of such would still mean that 1A and 1B are very close to each other, since they are both on the same street number. Therefore i think it makes sense to display the numerical keyboard, and only change it when done so manually.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!

Posted to GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues > Bug 83

Reported to Garmin!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”