GPSMAP 66s freezes when scrolling on map [Crash 7]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
IAmNotACat

GPSMAP 66s freezes when scrolling on map [Crash 7]

Unread post by IAmNotACat »

Hi.

Ever since I got the GPSMAP 66s, I had trouble with it freezing when scrolling (moving around on the map). The unit completely locks up and the only way to recover is to remove the battery.

I have only one map installed on the unit (1.33 GB) and no SD card. I tried doing a complete factory reset, and it is using the latest firmware (4.10) but the issue persists. Has anyone else experienced this? The unit also freezes when the map is on an SD card so the issue appears to be unrelated to that.

Thanks for any input.

Re: GPSMAP 66s freezes when scrolling on map [Crash 7]

Unread post by 987 »

confirming that i have observed this as well on a GPSMAP 66st with software 4.10, GPS 2.70.
openstreetmap map over northern europe on microsSD.

In all cases the batteries where half drained (2 bars out of 4).
It showed after the following.
1. from the map, select some random point some bit away from your location and press enter.
2. press quit to exit, and press quit again to go back to current location.
3. now move the pointer, for a second it will show the name of the last location you were at (point 1).
4. sometimes here it freezes.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I have it once in awhile when I zoom in on the map and take it to the max. It seems to freeze and can not zoom back out.
Then the screen saver kick in and the next time I view the map all is working and I can zoom out again. Have never had to remove the batteries. Waiting seems to correct the freezing. This does not happen all the time. I think It has happen 3 times since I have been using the 66. It sounds like all the memory is used up for a minute or so and then clears the cache.

My 66 has 40 plus Geocaches on and 4GB SD card with full Benelux map. It does take some time to startup with all my 40 plus Geocaches on the SD card.

I have that happen on my smartphone when using my audio books for over 1/2 hour the app just stops and no sounds comes out. I stop the app and start again and all works again.

As for pulling the batteries on the 66 I would just wait and let it just reset itself before I would pull the batteries out.
I think the same thing is happening when you scroll to long over the map.
IAmNotACat

Thanks for the replies. I tried again with fully charged Ni-MH (precharged) batteries. Scrolled on the map to a location about 52km from my current location and the unit completely locked up, with the right 20% of the map being gray (not rendered). I waited for a full 5 minutes to see if anything would happen, but nothing did. Not even holding the power button for over 30 seconds will make the unit reset.

Again, had to pull the batteries to restart the unit.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Can you perform same test scrolling to same location but with different maps enabled?
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I just tested scrolling 90 KM South on my map and everything is working with no lockup.
Then scrolled back up to my location and again no lockup. Then went East 10KM and back and West 10 KM and back. Not one lockup the whole time. But like I said I have my Benelux map on a 4GB SD card. Do not know if using an SD card is better then having everything on internal memory. While doing the test scrolling you do not see much of the map till you pause for a second and the map reappears on the screen then I go back to scrolling again. The KM does not move also till you pause for a second scrolling and it corrects itself also.

I hope this test will help.....
GPSrChive
Site Admin

IAmNotACat wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 pm I have only one map installed on the unit (1.33 GB) and no SD card.
What about the OE Base Map? Is that still installed also?

If you do not have the OE Base Map that came with the GPSMAP 66 enabled, map panning at lower zoom ranges is difficult to say the least.
IAmNotACat

The base map is installed, yeah. I had originally disabled it because the map I am using is a detailed map of Norway. I re-enabled the base map but still after a few minutes of scrolling the unit locked up. For what it’s worth, the problem seems to appear more frequently when zoomed into mountainous areas with lots of detailed elevation curves. Which is a shame as those are areas I like to go to...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Ignoring the eventual slowdown panning the map, did enabling the basemap improve the performance some?
IAmNotACat

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:29 pm Ignoring the eventual slowdown panning the map, did enabling the basemap improve the performance some?
It might have, actually. At least the first time I had to pan around for almost two minutes and find an area with lots of detail before it locked up. After pulling the batteries I tried again a second time and then it locked up more quickly.

Using only the base map I am not able to make the unit freeze.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”